ELT carriage in France UK & Holland

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Mike Cross
Site Admin

Post by Mike Cross » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:14 am

HoHo! Sir Humphrey would be proud!

The exemptions are in the Official Record Series 4 (ORS 4) so I thought I'd look it up on the CAA Website.
ORS4: NOTE: Currently only Official Record Series 4 documents published since 1st January 2003 are available here. There are ORS 4 documents published prior to this date which are still current.
Please find below details of the CAA Publication you have selected. Dependent on availability, you are able to download the file, or purchase a printed copy.

Reference: ORS4
Title: NOTE: Currently only Official Record Series 4 documents published since 1st January 2003 are available here. There are ORS 4 documents published prior to this date which are still current.
Description: -
Review Comment: None
Version: 1
Date: No date available
View File: Not available for download
Purchase Copy: Printed copy not available for purchase
So it's current but you can neither download nor buy a copy :roll:

The current list is actually here.

And the current exemption is here.

mike hurn

Post by mike hurn » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:44 am

You can print it ... and its only got about 2 weeks to run unless its renewed :(

Cheers Mike
mike hurn

LAA/BMAA/WFAeC member

Yesterday is history. Tommorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift that's why they call it the present.

David Corbett

ELT's in NL and UK

Post by David Corbett » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:23 pm

I have been waiting for Barry Plumb to reply to the query about the UK exemption; both he and I were at the CAA's GACC meeting on 17 March, and the minutes of that meeting confirm that the Exemption for UK aircraft will be renewed from 1 May 2009 for 12 months, but it is likely that this will be the last period of exemption.

On the subject of ELT's required for crossing the NL FIR boundary, I was talking to the LAA engineers during their lunchbreak on Monday (20/4), and one - I think Malcolm - said that he understood that the NL requirement did not apply to Permit aircraft. Can anyone confirm this? I will ask the question on the Europa forum, from whom we have had some good replies.

Mike Cross
Site Admin

Post by Mike Cross » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:31 pm

Dave
he understood that the NL requirement did not apply to Permit aircraft
The Dutch AIC says
INTERNATIONAL GENERAL AVIATION
– AEROPLANES
1. All aeroplanes (including TMG and MLA) shall be
equipped with at least one ELT of any type.
So unless it can be demonstrated that a Permit aircraft is not an aeroplane I suspect you're on to a loser with that one.

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:14 pm

All this mentions ELTs?

Does this mean my trusty old portable Jotron ELT is still acceptable, despite not being a 406Mhz / GPS equipped device?

Why has all this stuff become so complex and confused?
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

Kevin Dilks

Post by Kevin Dilks » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:58 pm

Rob Swain wrote:All this mentions ELTs?

Does this mean my trusty old portable Jotron ELT is still acceptable, despite not being a 406Mhz / GPS equipped device?

Why has all this stuff become so complex and confused?
Because the dutch had a hard time finding the Turkish 737 1mile from the airport??
Just a thought :roll:
Like someone said here, all that desert and mountain terrain there.....or are the tulips getting taller these days? :shock:
Kev

ben.fitzgerald

Post by ben.fitzgerald » Tue May 05, 2009 5:39 pm

A simple solution which avoids great expense, is to hire one of the units for the period of your touring. Companies like Aerosafe will hire out the appropriate kit, and also make sure it is registered in the UK database correctly for you. Have a look at https://www.aerosafe.co.uk/acatalog/HIRE.html#a170

If you tour the continent regularly, then it would work out cheaper to buy, but most people only tour occasionally so hiring is a good option.

The price of ELT's has also dropped a great deal recently - they used to be well over £1K, but in the new SportCruiser for example, the price of the ELT is only EUR 480 on the option list - about £430 at today's exchange rate. Thus not so much of an investment worry as they once were.

Regards
Ben

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Tue May 05, 2009 7:11 pm

Ben - nice thought but unless I've missed ELT hire on that website , those items look like hire of PLBs not ELTs. :(

PLB's are not allowed in Holland. Registration of your name & address on the UK database isn't enough.

The ELT needs to be coded with your unique CAA issued aircraft 24 bit code (as per Mode S code) so they know which aircraft registration, type, no of seats, etc etc when they start looking for you.

Ironic thing is that Holland require this for all foreign aircraft transitting their airspace - quite ignoring the fact that a flight plan is mandatory when crossing FIR boundaries and hence S&R action is taken if you are overdue by 30 mins on your FP. :?

And that ignores the likely RT contact with ATC & Mayday calls / position calls.

Probably quicker than the satellite monitoring.