Airspace for the Olympics

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:59 pm

If this came out on April 1st we would all think it was a bad joke, but way too far fetched to be reality!

It is so over the top, its unbelieiveable. But when you read the bit about cross country gliders having to file a flightplan and accurately fly around their turning points and comply will all ATC instructions, it is clear its been written by someone who has no clue what they are talking about. This looses any credibility it might have had for anyone actually thinking about what they have imposed.

I can agree with their prohibited area, but can see very little logic for the rest of it, covering areas so far away from any olympics. What is the point for areas like Headcorn, the bit south of Gatwick or North of Stanstead/Luton to take the most rediculous areas.

And why is it necessary for 2 months!!! I think the Olympics last for two weeks. OK maybe a couple of days either side for people coming early/going home late, but what is the rest for (and apart from some politically correct journalists giving it lots of hype, why the special olympics, surely this is a fairly minor event as far as the public and more importantly the hangars on are concerned. Im sure its not high on any terrorist target!

Surely nearly all the participants of the Olympics will arrive on scheduled flights to the regular airports who already have sufficent controlled airspace, maybe a few to the likes of Southend, but thats about it. Yes there will be extra exec jet movements bringing in the rich and "famous" hangars on, but surely they wont arrive until a couple of days before and will be gone by the day after the closing ceremony.

totally rediculous!

David Kean

Post by David Kean » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:07 pm

Very restrictive proposal. I think the two months need to be justfied.
If anyone wants to voice opinion or ask questions I believe this is the chap.

Dean Miller
Controlled Airspace Section
Directorate of Airspace Policy
CAA House
45-59 Kinsway
London WC2B 6TE
0207 453 6554

[email protected]

John Price

Post by John Price » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:03 pm

The person to contact in relation to the olympic planning at the CAA is Dawn Lindsey.
[email protected]

If you are going to have a moan I would suggest copying in these two as well.
John Clark and Mark Swan.
[email protected]
[email protected]

Regards,

John.

ZuluAlpha

Post by ZuluAlpha » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:47 pm

Is there going to be an official LAA response to this?

It seems a very draconian set of restrictions. Thankfully it won't affect me too much as I am out of the zone, but if I was based within the zone I would object to having to file a flight plan for every flight 2 hrs beforehand with no guarantee that it will be approved.

David
David Jenkins

David Kean

Post by David Kean » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:55 pm

Also no transponder means grounded for two months !!

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:19 pm

There's two weeks for the paralympics too, but I can't see a good reason for the extra time.

ZuluAlpha

Post by ZuluAlpha » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:23 am

All the extra time is for all the teams training and the Olympics and Paralympics. More details here:
http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69015

David
David Jenkins

David Kean

Post by David Kean » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:04 pm

Olympics airspace rules announced

Strict rules on which aircraft can fly over the site of the London Olympics next year have been announced by the Government.

But scheduled air services are expected to operate as normal and south-east England airports are likely to stay open.

Transport minister Theresa Villiers said around the Olympic Park at Stratford in east London, there would be an inner prohibited airspace zone within which only certain categories of aircraft - those operating commercial services and subject to full security procedures - will be allowed to fly.

In addition there will be an outer restricted zone, about 60 miles wide, within which all types of aircraft will be permitted to operate provided they can satisfy certain requirements designed to ensure that all aircraft within the zone can be readily identified and monitored by air traffic control.

It is expected the measures will be in place from July 13 to September 12, 2012 to cover the period of both the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Mrs Villiers said: "These measures have been designed to help to protect key Games locations from potential airborne threats. It is normal practice to implement airspace restrictions during large-scale events such as major sporting events, and similar measures have been put in place for previous Olympic and Paralympic Games.

"The measures have been developed to be proportionate and to minimise the impact on the aviation community during the summer of 2012."

She added that options for airspace controls over other Olympics venues outside south-east England are still being considered and plans for these will be announced later.

The penultimate quote/ paragraph is laughable

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:35 pm

Can I refer people here to the discussion on the other place, which shows a bit more of a move than whinging (although as chief local whinger, I acknowledge the necessity) - I know there's some overlap of members but given the limited time for a concerted (if only) reponse, suspect the greater the spread the better.

Aplogies for mangling the language; written in haste and after night shift blah blah blah...

http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69015

12 pages so far...
Nic Orchard

David Kean

Post by David Kean » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:15 pm

Chump, with respect, not wingeing but trying to raise awareness.
I have already sent emails giving my views and asking questions.
This discussion is better placed here in my opinion as the LAA will hopefully already have taken note but the concerns of members will perhaps spur some action.
The more voices heard the better?
David

Bill Scott

Post by Bill Scott » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:41 pm

I don't think there is the slightest chance of stopping this nonsense, but maybe there is the possibility of mitigating the effects.
If that is to happen, I believe the only way will be to join forces and speak as one LAA/BMAA/AOPA and any other industry groups concerned.
Otherwise, divide and conquer will be the order of the day.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:36 pm

I heard a suggestion today that I hope the LAA might agree is good and maybe take up and run with.
It is obvious that the people writing these measures have no idea about the effect that it will have on us all.
The part about the gliders having to file flight plans is total nonsense.
No-one knows this better than Pete Harvey who has a foot firmly in both camps.
Also the CAA are alienating the very people that could provide the eyes and ears to help stop the very thing that this legislation is designed to prevent .

So pete, why don't you (as one world class sportsman to another) approach Sebastion Cole and get him on board.
Why should thousands of us give up our sport because our nation is hosting a world class sporting event?

I feel certain that Sabastion would be the best spokesperson to point out the week points of this plan to the relevent parties.

As an aside the smart money in the city are of the opinion that if there is an attack it will be made on the Tube.
John Cook

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:47 pm

David, apologies if I came across wrongly. I wasn't whinging that people here were whinging, merely trying to redirect them to another serious discussion. I think we are all entitled to a good whinge while we get our act together. I suspect we all agree that a concerted response would be better than not, if such a thing can be achieved within the short time available. I have the greatest respect for the experts in each of the alphabet organisations who have been doing good on our behalf on various issues before this one. If they can act together via the GA Alliance they will have enormous support.

The disproportionality of the restrictions is worth a decent fight.
Nic Orchard

David Kean

Post by David Kean » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:40 am

CC, agreed !
we need as many people as possible to make their views known. What happens if they decide this restriction around the capital should become permanent ! Not too hard to believe is it ?

Peter Harvey

Post by Peter Harvey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:44 am

Points above noted. Many thanks.
Pete Harvey.