Low cost strip plane - what would you recommend?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:19 pm

If you get nowhere meanwhile, my Temporary Champ may be for sale in a few months. Jodel D120, that is. Real Champ definitely not. I've had a few idle enquiries already, thus proving their popularity.

Those who have flown her so far have had no big trouble with cabin space.

I still think that if you want to run happily on Mogas, a Rans 6 or 7 would tick as many boxes as is possible, albeit without the charm of the oldies. But I don't think you included beautiful in your original specifications, did you? :wink:

Edited to add I think OH reckons to run his Rans for a genuinely all-in £30 ph. That's everything all in. Can't beat that. 'Course, you'd have to learn to love the Rotax shake, like a dog coming out of the water...
Nic Orchard

SteveKR

Post by SteveKR » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:53 pm

"I don't think you included beautiful in your original specifications, did you? "

you're right, I didn't but now that I come to think about it, a bit of olde worlde charm is probably part of the spec. There are a couple of Jodels advertised at the moment that I'll be making equiries about over the weekend, and have PM'd Rich about the Champ.

BTW - thanks all for the advice - it's been extremely useful. As Rich said, I've come to the conclusion that I'll have to make some compromises.

Rich Valler

Post by Rich Valler » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:33 am

Steve, no pm received ...
Rich

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:26 am

CC - Are we getting closer Chuck ?

Rich - Pheeew !

:D

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:50 pm

Mike, yes we are...just waiting for the b....y humidity to drop.

Himself was heard to answer a question by someone not long back "Will she be ready by summer?" A straight answer, even... "Oh yes" :!:

'Course, there still seems to be a long way to go but once that spraying is done...and the struts...and the paperwork...and...

a HUGE party.

This is my new positive attitude, worn in the face of disappointments and c*ck-ups. Whatja think? 8)
Nic Orchard

James L

Post by James L » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:52 pm

Steve,

An alternative angle - I own an Avid Speedwing with a Jabiru 2200 and it does all the stuff you ask. Only downside is that it's quite small, so your height could be an issue.

It uses mogas at 11.5 lph, wings fold if required, nimble in the air, stalls at 40mph, cruises at 85-90mph and it's a steel airframe. I've landed it in some unusual places and it delivers. I just love it.

The only downside I find is the ground handling - it's sketchy when the tail is raised, but it will soon turn you into a dancing hero.

It's not really a traditional choice, and people will always refer to it as a microlight, but perhaps worth a look?

Mine, yesterday:

James Lipman

Rich Valler

whatja think?

Post by Rich Valler » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:13 am

ChampChump wrote:Himself was heard to answer a question by someone not long back "Will she be ready by summer?" A straight answer, even... "Oh yes"

CC, I think a key word may have been missed ... this

"Will she be ready by this summer? .... " :D

Roll on the party!

Rich

Jonathan Holland

Post by Jonathan Holland » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:28 pm

Hey, that's me in the Tcraft photo!!!! I wish I could say I was 6 feet and 11 inches but I'm not. Yes, you're right Rich, the view out of a Tcraft needs the neck of a camel, but they're still good machines.

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:01 am

ChampChump wrote:
Himself was heard to answer a question by someone not long back "Will she be ready by summer?" A straight answer, even... "Oh yes"

CC, I think a key word may have been missed ... this

"Will she be ready by this summer? .... "
You're just worried about losing your place on the Concours podium, methinks.... :wink:

All we need is a reasonable temperature, some lower humidity and ....oh, yes, I see what you mean...
Nic Orchard

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:14 am

James,

Are you hoping if you water it, it will grow into a proper aeroplane :oops:

Nic,

Nah, mine won't win any cups, but let me know when you are ready and I will pop down in - oh, 40 minutes :shock:

M

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Thu May 05, 2011 11:50 pm

40 minutes? Barely enough time to study the fields in Lincolnshire...as one must...

:? :roll: :cry:
Nic Orchard