Double Standards of the LAA. By Graham Hammond

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Tue May 18, 2010 9:46 pm

So Mike from what you have just said these events are run by the struts who are NOT the LAA which takes me back to my point why should members subscriptions be used to underwrite strut activity?
Do the LAA persay actually run any of these events that they spend our money on?
As I have said before, I have given flights to hundreds of poeple including youngsters..I don't need a special event to share that joy.

I am not being dismissive of many of the struts magnificent efforts to give youngsters rides,but the fact is many owners enjoy doing it just like I do, and they should not seek subsidy from the LAA. If the waters are further muddied by the LAA giving reduced cover for those that give more rides in their 4 seat aircraft by virtue of having more seats, coupled to the fact that you are not allowed to call it a LAA event ,then I ask what right has the LAA to spend members subscriptions on these events?

Before everyone calls me a cheapskate I would point out that I have given many thousands of pounds promoting the PFA/LAA quietly and asking nothing in return. this is about the principle not the amount involved
John Cook

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Wed May 19, 2010 12:17 am

I am hopeful we can sort out the currency requirements for flying youngsters, or indeed others, at Strut events without needing to go outside the umbrella of the LAA. Discussions are proceeding, and various options are being explored and advice taken so we can offer some proposals for consideration as soon as possible.

There is a possibility that agreement might also be reached with the Scout Association, which would be an ideal solution. Apart from some flying with commercial organisations and motor-glider flights, I believe LAA members provide the majority of the powered flights by scouts.

It is interesting to compare the arrangements in other countries, for example the EAA requirements for flying Young Eagles are just the basic ones for flying any passenger - license (certificate), medical, current rating, FAA currency for passengers, insurance etc. Pilot self-certification is required for Young Eagles flights, rather than a third party checking the documentation, and the usual parental form.

And all this in the land that invented ambulance-chasers!
http://www.eaa70.org/files/file.php?iid=569