Somebody may just have an idea....

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

bencmaster

Somebody may just have an idea....

Post by bencmaster » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:25 pm

I have been messing about with a Sony DCR SR50 digital camcorder, trying to get some film of my plane in the air.

The camcorder works fine but switches itself off, when the Rotax 912 revs up. It films while the engine is at low revs only.

The air temperture is roughly 10 degrees and it is not affected by vibration.

The camera has an infrared remote on/off sensor.

A long shot, but any ideas?

Ben

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:29 pm

Electrical Interferance?

Also what happens is someone holds the camera near but outside the aircraft when you give it some welly (then pick themselves up from down wind :D )

PB

Post by PB » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:42 pm

Consumer digital cameras are generally pretty poor in high RF environments. If the Rotax is anything like my VW it will spew out RFI.

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:42 am

My Garmin 12XL switches itself off if I put it near the ignition switch. Works ok if I strap it on my knee.

bencmaster

Post by bencmaster » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:33 am

I do think interference is probable, but hesitate when it seems fine as a hand held actually in the cabin...rather than outside it.

What can be done?

Ben

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:13 am

Ben, can you just clarify the issue?
I assumed that you were experiancing the shutdown problem while handheld in the cabin. Your last post indicates somtething else.

As an experiment you could wrap it in baco foil and earth the foil to the aircrafts earth.

Gary Hancox

Post by Gary Hancox » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:21 pm

My guess is that you camcorder has an auto shut off. Mine has an 'Anit-G' setting that automatically turns the camcorder off when it thinks its being dropped (i.e. when it experiences jerky movements). You should be able to turn this setting off for use in aircraft environments, or on rollercoasters!!

Gary

bencmaster

Post by bencmaster » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:22 pm

The camcorder does have two types of auto shutt-off. One is for dropping protection, the other is timed for when you leave it going unintentionally. These were both disabled.

The camera does work in the cabiin, but not outside when taped to a wing or tail strutt (ground handling only..of course!!). It was wrapped in bubble wrap, with a warm pad inside to keep the battery and innards warm.

Any RFI issues are obviously localised, and not in the cabin...don't know why.

Wind vibes/buffet is another guess, but how??? Especially as it happens both inside and outside the slipstream.

Ben

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:04 pm

Get yourself a normal handheld am/fm radio, go to the location of your camera mount and try listening to it when the engine is running. If any ignition interference is present you should be able to hear something.

As previously mentioned it is highly likely it is RFI which is affecting the cameras operation.
TN

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:32 pm

Having read the fiting, my money is now on vibration, followed by RFI

I wouldn't bother with the warm pad, if the camera is enclosed.

Does it shut off if you do a powercheck type run up? if so Ground mount it close to the strut location, and see what happens.

FWIW. If I wanted external shots I would use a dogcam with a lead back into the cabin. But if the camcorder dosent have an AV input that aint much use. The other downside of Dogcams is resolution is not that high