Interesting rumour.....

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:20 pm

Not just a rumour.... from the BMAA Yahoo group:-

Jon Viner the BMAA Chief Technical Officer is moving on to another
position outside the BMAA. We wish Jon well with his new job.

This leaves a space to fill at the BMAA and the advertisement for the
position has been loaded to the files section of this group.

Geoff Weighell

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:54 pm

so where is he going - CAA? LAA? xAA, yAA?

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:22 am

I don't know anything about the destination of this skilled individual, but it is a free country (in the sense of liberty to go after another job), and I don't see there's anything anyone can or should do if an individual exercises this freedom.

merlin

Post by merlin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:58 am

I wish Mr Viner well whereever he goes to work - I assume it's not the LAA as I've seen no announcement to members.

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:33 am

It is true that individuals can seek employment where they wish. It is also true that if a key employee moves from one organisation to another the relationship between the two is normally made worse for some time. IF we have headhunted the BMAA’s best and finest then that is certainly a short term win for us, but it will have a cost which will be significant, if hard to quantify right now.

Rod1

Graham Newby

Post by Graham Newby » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:12 pm

Below is the press release sent out today. If any member wishes to discuss this then please give me a ring.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

EX-BMAA CHIEF TECHNICAL OFFICER JON VINER JOINS UK LIGHT AIRCRAFT ASSOCIATION

The UK Light Aircraft Association ( LAA ) is pleased to announce that Jon Viner, previously CTO with the British Microlight Aircraft Association, will be joining the LAA Engineering team in May 2008
Francis Donaldson, LAA Chief Engineer, said “ We are very pleased that Jon has decided to join our Engineering team as his skills will add to the strengths we already have. With the various regulatory changes taking place in the UK and Europe the future for Light Aviation is incredibly exciting and Jon will help us make sure the LAA takes the lead during these changes“.

Graham Newby, LAA CEO, added “ Having been heavily involved in framing the future of Light Aviation for the UK private pilot and aircraft owner I see this as another positive step for the LAA and emphasising its increasingly strong presence and support for the whole UK light aircraft sector“.

--- ENDS ---

--- NOTES FOR EDITORS ---

About the Light Aircraft Association
With a history extending over 60 years, the UK Light Aircraft Association promotes safe and economical operation of sports and recreational aircraft. Representing the aviation interests of some 8000 hobby pilot, builder and enthusiast members, it oversees the build and operation of around 2000 light aircraft and provides sector-leading consultation and lobbying in the regulatory matters. Re-branded during 2007 from the former Popular Flying Association it is taking positive and assertive steps to confirm its leadership within the UK light aircraft sector.

--- CONTACT ---

Graham Newby
Tel 01280 846791
e-mail [email protected]

--- SENDER ---

Graham Newby
Tel 01280 846791
e-mail [email protected]
www.laa.uk.com

Tony Harrison-Smith

Post by Tony Harrison-Smith » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:47 pm

I sincerely hope that he is not going to be able to work on the microlights that are looked after by the LAA!! That would rub salt into the wound :roll:

Tony

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:22 pm

Not being directly involved, I fly the production-line types, I can see where both sides are coming from, but in today's world, business imperative will usually overcome the moral. From the LAA point of view we went for who we think is the best & we got him, that's business. Headhunting is not restricted to Borneo.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:18 pm

Before we get too many people reading too much into this, the heirachy within BMAA have not levelled any animosity toward LAA at all over Jon deciding to come and work with us, they accept it is all part of business. Just as we did in fact, when BMAA tried (unsuccessfully) to coax Francis away from PFA to join them.
Thank you Jeremy for your kind words re the magazine and I am sorry to hear that you have decided not to renew your LAA membership. I am sure if you keep informed you will discover that LAA is still very much pro microlight. We are currently endeavouring to set up a specific microlight group to ensure that the concerns and aspirations of that sector of our membership are adequately represented on the National Council.