My Eyes Are Getting Old!

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

John Bowes

My Eyes Are Getting Old!

Post by John Bowes » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:59 pm

I have reached that time in my life when I need glasses to read the GPS. However my distance vision is good, so do I carry reading glasses, try vari-focals or bi-focals? I have heard that some types can give problems, any help or advice?

Frank Parker

Post by Frank Parker » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:34 pm

When I turned 40 I was told that I had very good vision, the accomodation power of a twelve year old. Now I cannot manage without my Varilux lenses! They do take a little getting used to, and have a smaller lateral in-focus field of view than bi or tri-focals, but they work for me. I have frames with magnetic add-on sunglasses, which I lose at regular intervals (old age!) , but which are very convenient. Just don't park them next to the compass in flight!

plaviator

Varifocals

Post by plaviator » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:42 pm

My eyes are a constant source of irritation to me as I need different strength lenses for different jobs. However, for flying, the varifocals work well for me too. I had photochromatic lenses at great expense but they have been well worth it. Getting used to having your head in the right position soon becomes natural if you wear them often and there is some distortion in the peripheral vision but again, this is not a major drawback, it's just a case of getting used to them.
For close and medium distance work, I still have to use fixed lens glasses, for instance I cannot use the varifocals at the computer. For flying and driving though, they are great.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:01 pm

I've worn glasses all my life and when I was getting on for fifty I too got to the point where my arms weren't long enough to read the paper. I asked my optician about varifocals and he recomendd against them, saying few people actually needed them and that bi-focals were easier to get used to. I have bifocals with the reading D (turned c/w through 90) set low and by the nose, with maybe a third width of the normal lens filling the frame on the outer sides, thus giving me good peripheral vision. Reactolight or similar lenses are also well worth the added expense.

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:43 pm

I had exactly the same problem on my last PPL(A) Medical. Distance fine, but inside the cockpit the instruments & map look a bit blurred. The CAA Approved Doc said to use Reading Glasses (and carry a spare pair). By the way, you don't need Designer Glasses or Prescription Glasses - those Non Prescription cheap ones from Boots etc. are fine just pick a "Piz Nez" style so you can see over the top of them for distance without taking them off all the time.

Gary M

Post by Gary M » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:31 pm

If your prescription requires it try varifocals and specifically tell the optometrist you need lenses with good peripheral vision and deep enough. This makes a big difference. I recently got a new Japanese lens which gives good results, much better than the last pair.
Alternatively, less expensive bi focals, but leave the close up sector only towards the nose and not the edges. this avoids you having to turn your head to scan out sideways. That advice was from from my doctor who was a helicopter pilot. Sunglasses must be the same prescription, or you will feel disoriented. I tried clip ons but did not get on with them.

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:05 am

I have exactly the same prob, I need glasses in the cockpit but cannot see the ground with them on.

I had pretty well perfect vision until the age of 40 when it started to go long. I suspect that if you formerly had good vision, then the deterioration is probably fairly symetrical, so your eyes are likely to be just a tad long sited, they are unlikely to become squinted, astigmatic or any of the other odd conditions that opticians use to justify charging you huge sums.

I have spent £350 for a set of 1/2 round reading glasses, but found them to be no better than £3 pairs from Wilkinson's, my favourites are £15 Boots specs.

For flying I found a bloke in Devon who sells plain sun glasses with built in reading lens, they come in +1 to +3 diopter and cost £15 last time I bought some, he used to put an ad in the flying mags. My wife also bought me a couple of pairs of these from Wilkinson - again £3 a pair
Peter Diffey

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:24 am

I've had two pairs of sunglasses with reading lenses from Grett Optik (advertised in PF at one point). He's a pilot and a nice bloke. They work well for me as like you my long sight is OK. I found the brown tints best. £15 a pop so I wasn't gutted when I sat on the first pair. I carry my readers as the legal backup.

www.grettoptik.com