Membership Renewal

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

jamie_duff

Membership Renewal

Post by jamie_duff » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:02 pm

Hi all,

My wife opened a letter from LAA yesterday and renewed my membership while I was at work. When I got home and read it I discovered there was an Orwellian Doublethink two-tier membership now.

She's renewed me at £48 because that's what the letter said the renewal was, but the waffle was on about Full Membership which no longer gives the LAA services and Full Plus membership for people with aeroplanes at £69.

Now I could have a bitch about definitions - Full Membership means Full to my rather simple minded view of the world. If it's now £69 to be a Full Member and £48 to subscribe to the Mag then that's one thing but it's a bit like McDonalds where the smallest meal is called "Medium", the medium one is called "Large" and if you really want to get fat you can buy "Extra Large"...

What's the point??? Aren't the non-flying members big and mature enough to be happy with "Lite Membership" or "Non-Flying Membership" or something else which describes the lack of access to LAA core business?

Anyway - my question is - "Do I need to pay £69 now to be a full member?" By full I mean I need full access to the LAA facilities to carry out the process of building an aeroplane.

If so, can I pay the additional amount without a lot of administrative hassle?

Cheers all,

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:31 pm

If you are using LAA engineering services for aircraft building or run a permit aircraft, you need the Full member Plus at £69. I imagine it won't be too hard to sort out.

I'm sure it has been explained in one of the recent LAA Magazines.

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:10 pm

I have just had a look at my membership card and it does not state my membership type. I loged on to the members only section and checked my details, no indication of membership type. Any way of checking without a phone call? All seems a bit disconnected.

Rod1

Captain Pulsar

Post by Captain Pulsar » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:21 pm

First I've heard of a two tier membership. If it was in the magazine then I must have missed it. Surely those who operate permit aircraft already pay seperate fees for renewals and additional fees for checking of repairs and modifications. So what is the additional membership charge for exactly?
I guess I'm happy to pay it as I have no choice but when did this all come about?

Rob Freestone

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:39 pm

Captain Pulsar wrote: If it was in the magazine then I must have missed it.
It was in the January magazine, pages 62 & 63.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:08 am

AND the AGM
John Cook

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:33 pm

and discussed at length on this BB!
T Nowak

jamie_duff

Post by jamie_duff » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:47 pm

So is it just a phone call to fix this? Hasn't anyone elses' renewal letter had £48 on the bottom section stating the membership due?

Still can't get my head around why partial membership is called "Full" and full is called "Full Plus" though - but I agree there are more important things to spend time and money on than changing that now. It was a fairly peculiar decision in the first place though - or was that just me?

I seem to have missed the article in the magazine too and don't use the forum much any more, my apologies.