Free On-Line Aviation Magazine

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ColinC

Free On-Line Aviation Magazine

Post by ColinC » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:54 pm

I just took a look at what I believe is a brand new on-line magazine with some content that will be of interest to LAA members: http://www.av8magazine.com I'm suprised it hasn't been publicised here before.

You have to register and can then either download it or read it from the site.
Colin Cheese

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:51 am

Given that we subsidise our mag by £20k a year perhaps we could learn something?

Rod1

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:40 am

I am certainly not an economist Rod, but if we had an online magazine rather than a printed one, I do wonder how we would attract membership income from those who do not need to be a member because of our engineering functions. The mag may not be the sole reason these people join us, but it is a major factor.
There is a whole lot more to a magazine than how it ends up being presented to the reader. The financial model certainly has to be viable, and I do not believe that an online mag would be viable in the greater scheme of what LAA needs the magazine to do. To be honest, I also do not think that too many people prefer the online option over holding a magazine in their hands. Internet advocates like your good self have been promising the paperless world for nearly 20 years now, one day the penny might drop that Joe Public is just not being convinced it is a better way.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:54 am

If Rod proposed to you in writing Brian,( as apposed to electronically) would you marry him ? :roll:
John Cook

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:19 am

He'd have to shave off his beard and buy a wooden aeroplane first John.

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:34 am

I now understand something that had escaped me. Brian does have a mission in life! He has set out to reduce the number of trees he could fly into. To do this he campaigns on behalf of quaint wooden aircraft and advocates that one has to communicate using paper. I think we need to rename him Woody No Hope! (That was not my first thought :twisted: )

No trees were harmed during this windup, I mean discussion.

Rod1

Captain Pulsar

Post by Captain Pulsar » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:57 am

Don't be too hard on 'Woody' Rod, I guess we all have our preferences.
Whilst an online magazine is ok for a quick look, I much prefer a nice glossy mag with big writing and glossy pictures for the full experience.

Especially in the winter, one can relax with a beer or two and enjoy the full flavour of Brian's (Woody's) editorial masterpiece. Always a great read about my type of flying. Long may it (and Woody) continue. 8)

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:56 pm

My good Captain I was not proposing “firing” Woody, just reduce his considerable footprint (carbon). By putting the mag on line in the member’s only area only members could see it. By allowing the modern citizens of the 21st century to opt out of receiving dead trees, he would then save on paper (reduced cost) ink (reduced cost) and postage (reduced cost) and help fulfil his EC commitment to reduce the subsidy used to prop up the mag. The mag contents is of course first class (but don’t tell him or he will become unbarable), but the delivery is often late. Put it on line man!

Rod1

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:52 pm

Carefull Rod,Woody will tie you to a line! WOOD you prefere Kings Cross or Liverpool St.? :roll:

Edited..If you are going to cut down a tree you can do a lot worse than use it to build an aeroplane!
John Cook

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:52 pm

Whilst this is one of the better (conventional) forms of on-line magazine I have to admit that I still prefer that we waste trees and have a printed magazine. I like something I can pick up and read whilst travelling.
Colin Cheese

G.Dawes

Post by G.Dawes » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:26 pm

I read my mag in bed , in the front room and take it places but the computor stays where it is and I keep my old copies back to 1969 for some.

Kevin Dilks

Post by Kevin Dilks » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:52 am

And dragging a lap top into the toilet does receive strange looks from the wife..........................

Nice to get a hard copy to show others what your on about at work LOL

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:57 am

K Dilks has it in one: you can talk the talk and enthuse others as best you can, but how nice it is to be able to follow up with 'you might be interested in some of this....'

And even those of us committed to the bl..dy machine find the hard copies irreplaceable; mine come to work with me (no internet in my cabin), touring and to bed. Besides, I already spend too much time in front of a screen.

Furthermore I can think of a good few strips where fewer trees would be an advantage.. :wink:

I'm sure we've been through all this before.
Nic Orchard

Tony Harrison-Smith

Post by Tony Harrison-Smith » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:48 am

printers attached to a computer are marvelous things, they can even give you hard copy of an online magazine :lol: