Free Landing Coupons.

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Bill McCarthy

Free Landing Coupons.

Post by Bill McCarthy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:15 am

How does the system work with "Flyer" magazine free landing coupons for selected airfields in their monthly periodical - who pays ? If the airfields promote this (for free ?) as a method of attracting future visiting aircraft, can the LAA take on a similar activity for Association aircraft only.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:26 am

The airfield foots the bill.
I idea is to recoupe the landing fee on fuel sales and/or sticky buns etc. :D Also aiming to get repeat visits from those who enjoyed the trip.

There is nothing in the world to stop an airfield promoting an LAA event with free landings and promote it through a magazine. Infact Duxford does this with the 'type' events that they run throughout the year.

Mike Mold

Post by Mike Mold » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:42 am

We have deals for Devon Strut members at Dunkeswell and Plymouth - either half price landings or free with fuel upload. It might be worth other Struts considering to help promote their local airfields?
Mike Mold
Jodel D112 G-BHNL
Watchford Farm, Devon
www.devonstrut.co.uk

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:02 pm

but how about free landing vouchers in the LAA magazine!

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:58 pm

Nigel,
That's what I was aiming at - landing vouchers in OUR monthly magazine. It could lead to quite a few fly-ins and would help promote the Association, especially if there is a flying school on site where non members are into learning to fly. Maybe just one or two vouchers per month to help "concentrate" numbers at a fly-in. Well worth chasing up I think.

Jonathan Wilkins

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:30 pm

I organise a couple of fly-ins through the summer at Headcorn (see Fly-in post on BB) and i am allowed to use the day to encourage old and new visitors to visit the airfield as say invited guests, and that includes waivering the landing fee for the day. Unfortunately down here in the South East we have never really catered for any LAA events in the past, the nearest now being North Weald or Popham, therefore if anybody thinks its worth me organising an event for the LAA at Headcorn i will be able to do it with FREE LANDINGS !!! What do you all think?? :idea:

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:58 pm

Sounds great to me! I really enjoyed my trip there a couple of years back, and have been meaning to go back. Lots to see there.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:44 pm

Landing vouchers in LA would be good, and in fact I did have somebody a couple of years ago wo was going to negotiate with airfields to get them to agree free landing vouchers for members as they do with some of the other magazines. Unfortunately the person didn't get the thing off the ground so it didn't happen.
Any volunteers! Like so many initiatives, somebody has to do the work! We have a marketing committee meeting next week so I'll float the idea there, it would be nice to do so with the name of a volunteer or two who would be prepared to take the job on.

Jonathan, if you are serious about doing something LAA at Headcorn, the Mid Kent Strut are fairly local and can help with manpower. It is our Strut meeting this coming Thyrsday, 8:00pm at Cobtree Manor golf club bottom of Bluebell Hill. Give me a ring if you fancy coming along and having a chat about it. 01795 662508.

John Brady

Landing vouchers

Post by John Brady » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:04 pm

Even if we could negotiate say half price (or quarter price) landings, it would encourage more fly-outs (especially if we could forecast them ahead so struts and friends can make a plan to meet somewhere). That would also generate more traffic for the airfield so a business case can be made that in-month revenue would be increased by participating.

To be honest, the main reason I buy Pilot is for the vouchers. Our magazine is more interesting and better value!

Jonathan Wilkins

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:26 pm

The problem is that airfields will then realise when they get nothing after the weekend rush than a pile of magazine vouchers that its anly LAA members that go anywhere and they will stop it straight away or start puting their fuel or food prices up so we wouldnt really be getting in for free!!

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:14 am

Jonathan,
The idea is to introduce newcomers to an airfield that they had not previously considered. If they had a pleasant visit with good facilities, they then would return as a paying customer.
Brian,
Is there someone in the PR department at Turweston who could handle the process of contacting prospective candidate airports regarding voucher schemes ?

Bill.

macconnacher

Post by macconnacher » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:58 am

Are we not re-inventing the Fly-In?

Surely rather than getting vouchers an invite to LAA members on a particular Sunday and also a set weekday for those who are retired or cannot come during a weekend serves the same purpose.
Thus it introduces people to the airfield and allows members to meet. It also makes it easier if the catering know the day on which there will be increased numbers.

You can understand vouchers to a magazine membership but for a club a simple invite with free landings is enough (and particularly to LAA members).

We need to remember we are a club not just an alternative service provider for people who build kits etc.
Stuart Macconnacher

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:45 am

Stuart, I see what you mean, but I think that landing vouchers could lead to "de facto" LAA fly-ins: if it's a good flying day, especially a weekend one, and there's a voucher in the mag, then members will probably roll up! Especially with a little ad hoc coordination, say via this board. Fixing up days in advance is at the mercy of the weather, availability of shared aircraft, life, etc.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:37 pm

Bill, there isn't a PR department at Turweston! Marketing is handled by a small sub committee of mainly EC members. As part of that comittee I am asking for volunteers so that this isn't yet another job that is left to a small number of already busy EC members.

I know several of my flying mates who only buy the flying mags for the free landings, and we often end up deciding where to go based on where there's a freebie landing. You've only got to use one voucher and you've paid for the magazine several times over in some cases, and we usually do buy something to eat and often get fuel so the airfield get something out of it too. I doubt we're the only people doing that.

Landing vouchers in LA might well encourage a few more members too.

Jonathan Wilkins

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:06 pm

Would the issue of free landing vouchers to LAA members cause the demise of organised Fly-ins elswhere?
If a group of LAA members fly to airfield A say 30 miles away where they can land for free through a scheme and there is an organised Fly-in at airfield B 50 miles away, are they likely to attend the fly-in???