Permission to fly in France on an NPPL(SSEA)

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Simon Clifton

Permission to fly in France on an NPPL(SSEA)

Post by Simon Clifton » Thu May 14, 2009 1:50 pm

There is another recent thread on this, but it got a bot off topic and mixed up with 'official channels' which I guess will get there, but not for a year or two.

It is simple really:

Has any NPPL(SSEA) holder, ever received official personal permission to use it in France, either temporarily or permanently?

If so, how did they do it?

(I know about what LAA and CAA and EASA are doing - I don't mean about that, can't wait. I also know about NPPL(M) being a bit different)

Thanks

Simon
~~~~~

Simon Clifton

Post by Simon Clifton » Sat May 16, 2009 8:27 am

Hmmm

111 views and no reply.....

S
~

Joe Iszard

flying in france

Post by Joe Iszard » Sun May 17, 2009 8:22 am

Simon, Try this.

BRIA (Regional office for flight information and assistance).
These organisms provide the necessary information for the preparation of flights and procedures for following through messages with regard to flight plans and flow control measures.

BRIA (Metropolitan France) Areas covered by the BRIA

LILLE
Tel : +33 (0)3 20 16 19 65/66
Fax : +33 (0)3 20 16 19 71
Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, United Kingdom, Luxembourg
Joe Iszard

Ian Melville

Re: flying in france

Post by Ian Melville » Sun May 17, 2009 8:57 am

shortfield wrote: These organisms ..........
No need to speak of the French like that :D

Joe Iszard

Post by Joe Iszard » Sun May 17, 2009 10:59 am

That'll 'learn' me! Must read through all postings, especially if copied, 3/10!
Joe Iszard

Simon Clifton

Post by Simon Clifton » Sun May 24, 2009 8:44 am

I think there is a big difference between getting flight controller granted permission (such as you would get from Lille, or even Le Toquet etc), and the sort of permission you would get from DGAC.

DGAC is where I am targetting. My acknowledged request has been in for a week now, they are either thinking about it, or it has died.

Simon
~~~~

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sun May 24, 2009 6:46 pm

There is official discussion going on between LAA, CAA and DGAC at the moment, maybe an idea to let that run its course and see how it goes before getting too involved with individual requests.

Simon Clifton

Post by Simon Clifton » Mon May 25, 2009 9:27 am

Brian

Yes, I am aware of the official channel discussions. But I am not expecting quick results, I know how these things can go.

I'm coming to the conclusion that formal personal NPPL(SSEA) permission to fly in France does not happen. JAR PPL might be my next move.

S
~

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Mon May 25, 2009 7:41 pm

Simon, when you decidied to go for your NPPL, did no one explain that it was for UK based flying only ? Upgrading to a JAR licence is not that difficult, any decent flying school should be able to answer your questions.
Good luck.

Will.

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Mon May 25, 2009 9:10 pm

:twisted: I took my NPPL as opposed to the JAA PPL after reading all the info on each regarding the privileges.
I knew that in the next 2-3 years I will be able to cross the wide stream on a (LPL) European Leisure PPL, so I am now confused why others believe they can do so now.
I do think that although it's most upsetting to some that the EASA had the temerity do call a recreational type of license the Leisure Pilots License and will inevitably cause delays. I did the NPPL because I only wanted to fly at my leisure and if I had wanted to do the IMC/Night etc I would have done the other one.
But isn't it exciting to be in the flying club listening to all the waffle as which one is best and why you dont need or indeed need the one you are going for? "Waffle Waffle"...Rarr Rarr "..."Dontcha know?"
Then you find out they rent the 172 for a lap around the area and won't land anywhere other than the home field.
Your money...Your choice.........Study the rights and privileges first.
Bit of a rant over thanks for reading

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Mon May 25, 2009 9:12 pm

Whoops underlined too much............makes me look like Mr Angry.....sorry

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue May 26, 2009 6:54 am

Hi Alan, I guess the problem is that there is anecdotal evidence that people have managed to get permission to use their NPPL SEA in France, just as the NPPL Microlight license is permitted. It does seem to be an anomaly after all. The situation is possibly also more important to those who can no longer pass the JAA medical requirements and who had enjoyed flying in France in the past, they are not making a license choice as such.
I too have heard the stories, but have never met anybody who has actually got the permission. I hope DGAC accept the arguments and allow NPPL SEA into their airspace asap.

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Tue May 26, 2009 11:40 am

Yes Brian I do too, The french (NPPL) is similar enough to ours for there to be no real reason not too.
Unfortunately anecdotal evidence is much like a verbal agreement.........not worth the paper it's not written on.
A full and official agreement on both sides is hoped for, but I suspect that we will still have to wait for EASA LPL.
I feel for the people who have lost their JAA medical, but with the NPPL they can at least still fly which was not so only a few years ago.

Simon Clifton

Post by Simon Clifton » Tue May 26, 2009 1:50 pm

Alan and Will

Yes, I was advised about the issues around NPPL/PPL by my school. I even had the benefit of a personal interview with the PFA Chief Exec at the time (Graham). He guessed the European LPL thing might be happening about now...

As it so happens, I passed my JAR medical last week, and all my training hours are JAR PPL credit transferrable, so I think all I have to do is yet another GST/Nav test in a wheezy Warrior.

I won't even bother asking about whether I can do the tests in my fancy new homebuilt SportCruiser, I really don't fly at all well with a yoke/direct-drive prop /ancient avionics set-up at 150.00 GBP/hour

Thanks

Simon
~~~~~

ChrisS

FAA - another solution

Post by ChrisS » Tue May 26, 2009 5:15 pm

I lost my JAR medical just before my Skills test, and thanks to the NPPL I took that instead and can still fly :)

I reckon it will be some considerable time before we see the LPL, but there is another alternative.

The FAA (for my condition, Type 2 diabetes) are 20 years ahead of JAR and I can have any class of medical I want.. so my plan is to get an FAA PPL this summer.

Looks like I will be a trailblazer in conversion from NPPL to FAA PPL, so will post something when I know the requirements (may be a full course!)

Chris