Permit aircraft flights to Europe

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Mike Millar

Permit aircraft flights to Europe

Post by Mike Millar » Sat May 23, 2009 8:24 pm

I just received a new permit for our factory built permit aircraft, together with a copy of TL 2.01 (Jan 2008), which still states that the LAA permit brings with it no right of flight outside UK airspace.

Our EASA Form 20a permit document states that it is valid in all member states, so surely TL 2.01 is out of date as far as flights to EU countries is concerned. Does anyone know differently?

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sun May 24, 2009 8:54 am

Is not EASA Form 20a an EASA permit to fly? Is your EASA Permit still valid if you are now on the LAA permit system?

IIRC you are required to request permission from each country. Most EU countrys have standing agreements in place to allow LAA permit aircaft to fly in their airspace. So don't assume you cannot fly in the EU, you just need to check.

Mike Millar

Post by Mike Millar » Sun May 24, 2009 12:11 pm

Thanks Ian. Yes, we have valid "EASA form 20a PFA" permits issued by the CAA in December 2007 under the LAA permit system for our Fourniers, so I am assuming we now have free passage to all contracting EASA member states. France has not been a problem anyway, but countries like the Netherlands charged a hefty amount for approving entry with an aircraft on a national permit. I'm assuming that is now a thing of the past as far as EASA Form 20a aircraft are concerned. Just wanted to check what the official position was - has anyone contacted any of these EU CAA's to check lately?