CAA vs JAA

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Bob Tavener

CAA vs JAA

Post by Bob Tavener » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:01 pm

Hi everybody, Looking for advice or points of view please. I am living and working in France, :D until the end of my contract :? . I have joined a local flying club and, after some localised training etc, it has been suggested that I change my licence from CAA to JAA. Having read LASORS it would appear that this is not compulsory although with changes that are 'coming' from EASA it might be a good move. :?: With a cost of almost £200 has anybody any thoughts, or qualified information, that might make the decision process any easier? Many thanks.

John Brady

Post by John Brady » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:24 pm

Bob,

if you have a PPL I know of no disbenefit from changing to a JAA licence. If you have a UK CPL or ATPL, you automaticaly get IMC priviliges which vanish if you change to a JAA Licence. Of course the CAA will give them back if you take a test and pay for the rating to be added back to your licence. I think JAA licence lasts 5 years instead of the UK 10 years.

Although you may think a JAA licence is common accross the JAA states it s not. For example if you have a German JAA licence, it can only be revalidated by a German examiner. Some states require you to use a medical examiner approved by that state. As you are in France you may find that French charges for that sort of theing are cheaper but I am not sure if the UK CAA allow examiners from other states to sign off a UK issued licence. All this will be (should be) resolved by EASA as EASA licences will be common and states will not be allowed to apply local restrictions to their nationals.

Personally I would wait until my licence is due for renewal unless there was some imperative to spend more money now.

John

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:12 pm

My CAA license says "This license shall remain in force from 26 Oct 1994 for the holder's lifetime unless revoked, suspended or varied".

Have I missed something, has it been varied ?
Peter Diffey

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:42 pm

Pete, all PPL licences obtained before 1996 are life time, post date this they are the 5 year type.

Will.