NPPL LICENCE CHANGES NOW !!

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Will Greenwood

NPPL LICENCE CHANGES NOW !!

Post by Will Greenwood » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:36 pm

If you are unaware of the NPPL REVALIDATION CHANGES, please read this below.

Will Greenwood LAA/PCS
Last edited by Will Greenwood on Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:16 am

ATTENTION NPPL HOLDERS.

(Nothing in this announcement is meant to contradict relevant sections of the Air Navigation Order or the AIC issued on the topic, which of course, take
precedence.)

From July 1st 2009, to be legal as pilot in command using an NPPL, the relevant rating in your NPPL needs to have a specific future expiry date associated with it, with the entry in your licence signed by an examiner or the CAA.

This should not be a problem for microlight or SLMG pilots who have been on such a scheme of a 'fixed future expiry date' from the start but it could be a real legality issue after the end of this month for 'SSEA' rated pilots unless they check and take appropriate action if necessary. Some will not need to, having already complied with the requirement, but many will need to take action before the end of this month.

Most pilots with NPPL SSEA ratings have in the past been subject to a self-certifying 'rolling validity' scheme and until recently have not been forced to see an examiner to have a specific future 'expiry date' for the SSEA rating written in their licences.This situation has now changed. The issue is further complicated by early NPPLs being issued with 'SEP' ratings before an AIC, issued in 2004, admitted that these should have been called 'SSEA' and should be treated as such.

Every NPPL holder is advised to check their NPPL's rating page. If you find you have either an SSEA rating, or an SEP rating, and it does NOT have a specific future date mentioned in the EXPIRY column, then you need to take immediate action BEFORE the end of this month or you will not have the legal right to fly as pilot in command until you undergo a flight test to regain the rating concerned. Until the end of this month, current pilots without a specific future expiry date written against the rating have the opportunity to resolve this and avoid a flight test with a mere paperwork exercise.

If you find your licence has either an SSEA or SEP rating without a definite future date in the expiry column, you need to see an examiner (all LAA coaches are 'R' examiners for example) before the end of June 2009, and, providing you are current under the old scheme of validity, you will be given an expiry date of 2 years hence.

Once you have ratings with definite future expiry dates, you can start counting your flying hours towards a future revalidation based on the new rules detailed in AIC 30/2008 http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/curre ... 030_en.pdf

John Brady

Post by John Brady » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:12 pm

Will,

can you say what happens if someone goes past the end of June without a signature? Can they just have it signed up subsequently or do they fall into a hefalump trap?

John

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:01 pm

John,

That detail is not included in the AIC, however it does state that NPPL holders must revalidate before 30th June. However, it is expected that a flight test will be required if not revalidated prior to that date. I will be seeking clarification from the CAA shortly.

Regards,

Jon
Jon Cooke
Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:18 pm

I only got my NPPL less than a year ago.... cant check it at the moment as its at home & I'm in Dublin, will be FUMING if I have to take a test again.....especially as working abroad I wont be able to before mid July...

Chris Shackleton

Mike Mold

Post by Mike Mold » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:54 pm

My reading of it (& I got my revalidation today) is that as long as you've had a biennial within the past 24 months and you've done the hours, it's just a paper exercise.
Mike Mold
Jodel D112 G-BHNL
Watchford Farm, Devon
www.devonstrut.co.uk

Endeavour

Post by Endeavour » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:16 am

Dear all,
I am somewhat confused surrounding my NPPL revalidation/experience requirements.

History

Haveing had a UK PPL - supported by th Class 2 medical - I had to accept the NPPL medical reqirements - and hence a skills test to obtain a National PPL. However, since It has now been 2 years since I had flown, I recently [yesterday the 21st June 09] undertook a revalidation skills test - which I passed. Apart from now requiring the examiner's signature to my NPPL REVALIDATION CERTIFICATE, and Log Book, what is the appropriate Revalidation skills test form that needs to be completed? and where/who is the said form to be sent - LAA or CAA?

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:41 pm

Hi , your examiner should have sorted this ? !! he will have kept a copy of the SRG 1157 form, and you should have signed as well as the examineer an SRG 1119 form , which needs to be sent to the CAA at Aviation house Gatwick Airport.

Will LAA/PCS