touring in a factory built

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

mattia sgulmar

touring in a factory built

Post by mattia sgulmar » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:26 am

Hi all,
yesterday I sold my CofA airplane. And now I'm looking into a permit to fly airplane.
I don't think that I can build an airplane on my own (i'm not so skillful) so I'm looking into a factory built (specially the sportcruiser). My bigest concern is it more difficult to tour in europe with a factory built airplane than an homebuild?

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:15 pm

“factory built (specially the sportcruiser). My bigest concern is it more difficult to tour in europe with a factory built airplane than an homebuild?”

If you are talking about building your own SC, then it will be on an LAA permit. In theory this restricts you to the UK, but a 1980’s agreement removes most of the problem and the rest can be solved by applying for permission, which is always given, from the few places, which are left.

If you are buying a factory build SC, then my understanding is that will be on an EASA permit, which is acceptable throughout Europe, but has nothing to do with the LAA. I assume maintenance on this will be the full part M that will vastly reduce the cost saving of having an aircraft like the SC.

Rod1

John Brady

Post by John Brady » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:38 pm

Hello Eurofighter,

In a previous life I spent a million pounds a day for 5 years on Eurofighter. Hope you are enjoying it.

Nobody seems to have a problem touring in Europe in either a homebuilt or factory built. The biggest issue seems to be aircraft from other countries coming to the UK as we apply permissions and restrictions. As it is, the LAA is working on upgrading the ECAC agreement which is the basis for free circulation of amateur built aircraft in the EU (except in the UK of course where there are limitations) to include formally all factory built aircraft as well. Most EU countries are happy with factory built anyway - for example for France the ministerial decree of 22 May 01 allows all PFA (LAA) permit aircraft to enter France without prior permission.

Tech Leaflet 2.08 (go to Engineering then tech leaflets then operating a permit aircraft) has a lot of information but EC member Paul Bird is currently contacting every EU nation to get a formal update which will be our basis to update the ECAC agreement.

Hope that helps.

John

Simon Clifton

Post by Simon Clifton » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:54 am

Hey Eurofighter - how come the Forum Master lets you get away with that name? (or maybe that is your name!)

I had no problems with a permit plane (home built) in Europe. I think Belgium want you to fill in special paperwork, but I think I was in the minority of people that actually bother. Costs around 80 Euro, and is not difficult. No probs elsewhere I know of.

By the way, do get a SportCruiser, they are great - ask me!

Simon C
~~~~~~

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:35 am

Simon Clifton wrote:Hey Eurofighter - how come the Forum Master lets you get away with that name?
He won't! That was Eurofighters first post and he has been asked to use his full real name in future.