Airbox Freedom Clarity GPS

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Mike Mold

Airbox Freedom Clarity GPS

Post by Mike Mold » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:51 am

A friend is contemplating her first GPS purchase. Has anyone got experience of the Freedom Clarity unit?
http://gps.co.uk/cgi-bin/webitempage.pl ... domclarity
Mike Mold
Jodel D112 G-BHNL
Watchford Farm, Devon
www.devonstrut.co.uk

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:36 pm

I had a look at these at Aero Expo and they look very good with a clear display which is very configurable. Time was too short to go into all the benefits but I believe there might be a write up in a well known magazine soon.

The only problem i have is with the cost of the unit. I bought a Navigo 4.3 for slightly less than advertised and then bought the Southern England memory Map for £20. My total expenditure was about £70 whereas the Airbox is £600. I accept that the software running Airbox is much more sophisticated than mine but my unit shows me where I am on the map and that was all I was looking for.

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:03 pm

Alan Lovejoy and I both looked at this on Friday at Aero Ex, I think Lovejoy is considering shaking the moths out of his sporran for one!

Price comments accepted, we both thought it was an excellent piece of kit, and what's more it really is British!

I take a different approach to hitech stuff; I always buy older models for a lot less money. I just upgraded from GPS90 to a GPSmap96 (monochrome of course) - cost me £130 on 'Bay and it was like new with the latest database on it. I've had the 90 since 1997, so it's earned it's keep! Perhaps I'll get one of these fancy things around 2011!

Simon Clifton

Post by Simon Clifton » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:48 pm

I have used the Garmin 96 (mono) and 296.

They are excellent aviation-aware devices, and I would recommend Garmin to anybody.

But they don't have CAA maps - for that I have a PDA and Memory Map, not really aviation aware, but more than adequate if you have both devices. It certainly places you on a 1/2 Mil or 1/4 Mil map better than your thumb, and is very cheap.

Simon C
~~~~~~