Stolen 912S3 Engine

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Conrad

Stolen 912S3 Engine

Post by Conrad » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:03 pm

A 912S3 engine was stolen from a Katana aircraft based at Croft Farm last night.
The engine serial number is 4923592.
If anyone hears anything please let me know and I will pass on details to the owner.

Conrad Beale
ConAir Sports
http://www.conairsports.co.uk

Simon Clifton

Post by Simon Clifton » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:38 pm

Conrad

That's my local field, so doubly bad news. Will keep a look-out

Is there any background to this incident that you can share - was the engine removed from the plane? (I fear so)

Simon C
~~~~~~

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:13 am

Simon,
I do not have all the details of what has been taken, or if any damage has been done to the aircraft. The engine was definitely installed in the aircraft and was removed overnight. The day before I was working on the aircraft parked in front of it!

I understand there was another 912 engine stolen from a C42 based in Wilthire recently.

Best be vigilant.
Conrad Beale 023661
ConAir Sports Ltd

Simon Clifton

Post by Simon Clifton » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:11 pm

Conrad

I am troubled by this. Do you think the engine thief is likely to be a builder or flyer, or are they just after bits, or even just after the scrap value?

It is slightly easier for me to understand if these low-lifes are at least not aviators.

Simon C
~~~~~~

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:39 pm

Doesn't help in this case -- stable door and horse -- but it might be worth considering marking engines with e.g. Alpha Dots (http://www.alpha-dot.co.uk/about.html), Datatag (http://www.datatag.co.uk/) or Smartwater (http://www.smartwater.co.uk/Home.aspx).

Mike Fawdrey

Stolen 912 engine

Post by Mike Fawdrey » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:07 am

I feel very sad about this item as a couple of weeks ago I helped out at the Defford fly in. The chaps there are a grand bunch and raised some serious funds for the MAF and Air Ambulance charities.
Everyone there worked so hard
My heart goes out to them, I just hope the low lifes get caught.

Colin Dix

Stolen Rotax

Post by Colin Dix » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:57 am

Very sad news, were based at Croft Farm, Brilliant place. It looks like time to start locking up everything. Aero parts are expensive, generally light too. So not the best for scrap value. My guess is this engine will get used again. I hope they find the thieves. Very bad news for the owner & G.A in general.

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:28 am

May be a prompt as an additional item (engine numbers /lack of ) Inspectors should look out for

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:08 pm

Hmmm. I had a VW on my FRED that had an extra engine number stamped on it and the original number ground away. Might have been done in all innocence but, then again, it threw the port cylinderhead off at 50 feet!
Rob Thomas

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:02 pm

There was mention a few years ago in the PFA mag of a stolen Rotax. I think it stated that the 2-stroke could have been sawn off the boom tube in about thirty seconds flat with a couple of snips for the throttle/choke cables and another for the fuel line !

Jonathan Holland

Post by Jonathan Holland » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:13 pm

I think you will find that such thefts are "to order" and within 24 hrs, those engines would have been tucked away in an Eastern European hangar somewhere.

As a farmer, equipment theft is something I have had to budget for now. I had £16k worth of quad bikes, trailers, tools etc stolen last year. Apart from the fact that the police didnt even bother turning out ("well Sir, it's a common problem with farmers"!), I was told to learn to live with it.

Sorry chaps, but it's only going to get a lot, lot worse.

Mike Fawdrey

Stolen Engines or farm equipment

Post by Mike Fawdrey » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:46 pm

There is an advert on the AFORS website for something called eezicam
to protect hangars and barns either singly or as multiples.
The chap advertising operates out of Otherton I believe
I guess if strips have to increase security this could be one way to go.