LAA Mag

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

howard bradley

LAA Mag

Post by howard bradley » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:17 am

Is the July Mag still to come out ,or is the Free issue for new membership it , havn`t received mine yet for July anyway

Mike Mold

Post by Mike Mold » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:53 am

I'd have thought it was premature to expect the July issue. See this thread about the non-receipt of the June issue.
http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... php?t=1381
Some people still haven't had that one and should telephone Loop to request a replacement copy.
Mike Mold
Jodel D112 G-BHNL
Watchford Farm, Devon
www.devonstrut.co.uk

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:22 am

Unlike the newstand mags which for some reason distribute their July mag some time in late May (?) we publish our mag to coincide with the start of the month that is on the cover. The July issue went to press on Tuesday 23rd and will be posted out Tues/Wed this coming week at the latest.
There are usually a handful of members (around a dozen) who for whatever reason, fail to receive their copy of the magazine. This number was significantly larger for June, clearly there being a whole batch of West Country bound mags that went missing. Trying to get any kind of meaningful response from the Post Office as to what happened is rather a head-banging exercise, suffice to say there is probably a missing sack lurking in a depot somewhere.

As a normal course, contact HQ if your magazine has not turned up, NOT LOOP. June was exceptional and the office ran out of magazines.

The LAA Today that you will have received with LOOP, is one of our publicity exercises. It will have gone out to every LOOP reader, and hopefully will engender some interest in non members as to what LAA has to offer them. Good news is that thanks to the commitment of LOOP to the LAA, this entire exercise was free of charge to us - and that includes printing the LAA Today mag and the postage costs for about 25,000 copies. LAA members (who get LOOP) were included in the mail out because it is a publication they have not seen and updates them on some of their association’s activities, and it is also a good read. It would be good if they eventually passed on their copy to somebody they felt might like to become a member.

howard bradley

Post by howard bradley » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:43 pm

Thank you Brian ,makes it clear for everyone.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:08 am

LAA Today was excellent
John Cook

Simon Clifton

Post by Simon Clifton » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:43 am

Hopefully, LAA Tomorrow will be just as good!
On a slightly more serious note, would it be good to have more tech in the mag, or is it just me?

Simon C
~~~~~~

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:16 pm

Working on it Simon.

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:14 pm

Just got my July mag and what an excellent one it is. The Jabiru engine article is just the thing I want to see - absolutely first class. It would be great if the association did a small booklet to follow up as a "Haynes" type of publication for members. This thing can be done for other popular power plants - the rotax series and even the good old VW.
Also great to see the "Luciole" in a fairly advanced state of build.

Ian L

Post by Ian L » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:14 pm

I've taken mine with me to Angola to read while here; is that the most exotic place the mag has been to? 8)

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:40 pm

Angola exotic ? I took a bundle of back issues with me to the Far East in the late 70's and another to the Falklands in 82. I could virtually recite them like poetry. My all time favourite articles were the flight tests on the Jodel Bebe' and the Rollason Beta and I have them still, word for word almost !
I honestly don't know how Brian manages to fill the pages month in month out. The mags are better than they have ever been.

David Hardaker

Articles

Post by David Hardaker » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:59 pm

What a pity that Doug Bianchi isn't still around to write in his very entertaining style.
His slant on flying was priceless. (even if it was in the other magazine)
The kraftstoffcobblers ritual comes to mind. (something that happened when refuelling a Fokker Triplane !)
:D

Frank Parker

Post by Frank Parker » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:40 pm

Doug Bianchi is one of the unsung heroes of the PFA. He provided a lot of advice to the association , and on ourbehalf attended many meetings with the ARB as our unpaid Chief Inspector. He also found time to do all of the inspections on my Turbulent when it was under construction. I first met Doug when Personal Plane services was based at White Waltham and his twin children Tony and Anglea were very young. I am happy to see that PPS is still operating with Tony at the helm.

Nigel Bailey

Post by Nigel Bailey » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:12 pm

Talking about exotic locations for the magazine brought to mind a situation that I had many years ago, when I was a member of the PFA. I work on a large diving ship that was operating in Sarawak at the time and I was leaving the vessel by helicopter to proceed on a period of leave. The flight was perhaps a bit over an hour so I took out my copy of PF to read in order to while away the flight.
While reading it, I happened to look up onto the flight deck and noticed to my absolute surprise that the pilot of the helicopter was also reading the same edition of PF :!: He was deeply engrossed in it and didn't turn around to look at the few passengers he had, but when he eventually did, I lifted my copy to show him. He nearly fell out of his seat with surprise when he noticed. Needless to say, when we landed we had a beer and a good old chat about things GA.