Finding a Strut.....

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ChrisS

Finding a Strut.....

Post by ChrisS » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:00 pm

I started to post this on the Popham fly-in thread, but to avoid thread creep I'm posting in a new topic.

Its a response to the post by Frank Parker, citing that its not that easy to find details of a strut via 'Struts around the UK'.

I agree with Frank... the strut postcode search (good feature) returns three results for me, all a similar distance away.

The Google map is great & all 3 results have an email address & a phone number...but as a 'techie' I like to browse the web & find out more before I contact someone, so onto websites.....

Andover - no details on LAA page, no website.
West Berks - a couple of encouraging paragraphs on the LAA page, no website.
West London - link to website... with information about events in 2006 and pics of the 2005 xmas party.

I may be wrong (I often am), but I may be the kind of person that the 'rebranded' LAA wants to attract (newish PPL, 40) and we do use the internet as a first point of research into pretty much anything.... is there an ongoing effort to improve the situation, and if there is I will offer my help.

Chris

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:07 am

Sometimes all a strut with no website lacks is someone who is computer literate. Maybe it would be worth going along to a meeting (phones and a letter can still work to find out info) and seeing which one you find most welcoming. You could offer to help them with setting up a website.

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:18 am

ChrisS.

This is a debate I have been having with our representative from the legacy press for some time. :wink: :evil: If you are interested in something you hit the net. No web site, move on. This is the modern way, like it or not. :!:

I would value your comments on this one;

http://www.laaeastmidlands.org/

I stress I have no connection with the site other than being a member of the strut (since 91).

Rod1

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:32 am

Hi Rod,
I will PM you wil comments on that site, its nicely presented.

I agree with you about no website/move on. It is just the way we are, has been for the last 5 - 10 years in my case. If its something I really want to find out about (hobby related) though I will persevere and pick up the phone eventually. If its something I want to buy, then no website = no business for pretty much anything.

The main point with websites is they need to inform who you are, what you do and then how to make the next step. An email is pretty essential, and emails need to be responded to (usually hide an email address via a button to prevent spammers).

A mistake that is often made is to fill with 'news' and 'events' and then fail to keep them up to date. If you are not able to keep a site up to date, then dont even try - just keep the basic information on there. That is something that should be on the LAA site so the struts dont need to have their own site, which Dave is totally right, you need at least some computer literacy & someone to host it (at a minimal or zero cost). I think that pages within the main LAA site, hosted there and content submitted by the struts may be the way to go?

I hope no-one sees criticism in this, that is not the intention. I think the LAA is doing a great job and if I am able to help any initiatives then I will get involved.

Cheers
Chris

Simon Clifton

Post by Simon Clifton » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:28 am

The LAA website complements the mag well.

But the LAA website really does need a visual makeover. Simply put - the web site is the face of LAA for new members, the mag is the reason a new member will stay as a member, along with all the other excellent services the LAA provides.

I think hosting Strut websites via the LAA site is too much to ask.

S
~

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:04 pm

Hi All, you may have noticed an appeal for volunteers with web/video expertise in the latest magazine. This is because we want to add some LAA promo stuff to the website. The current site was originally designed as a members' site where they could get forms, check Engineering info etc. We accept that it does not 'sell' LAA, and that is waht we now want to add. We have been contacted by a very professional company headed up by a long time LAA member so hopefully we'll soon be able to get things moving.
I'm afraid that Struts simply would not keep HQ informed of activities etc in order for staff to keep Strut sites up to date, let alone the fact that we could not spare staff time to do it. Struts are like Forrest Gump's chocolates I'm afraid, some excellent, some not so good. People have tried to set standards, expectations etc over the years but it has had minimal effect. If the Strut you visit doesn't suit, and there's another in striking distance then give that one a try.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:56 pm

I agree with Rod and Chris that we are in an age where we move on if we cannot find it on the web.
I also agree that an out of date website is almost as bad a no website, yet am guity of failing to find the time to keep the two non-aviation sites I maintain fully up-to-date.

However, look at the demographic of most struts, in particular the committees. Most are of an age where the interweb thingy borders on black magic :shock: Then there is the cost, which I know can be shown as paid back in full buy signing a few new members.

Perhaps the LAA should encourage the struts to seek a web aware member to update the LAA for the struts presence on the LAA website, or their own website?

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:20 pm

Brian Hope wrote:Hi All, you may have noticed an appeal for volunteers with web/video expertise in the latest magazine. This is because we want to add some LAA promo stuff to the website.
Yes, I saw that. It reads like you need a graphic designer/video editor? Sadly I don't have those skills or I would be glad to offer to help.

My expertise is in business solutions, the web is a big part of that but I concentrate on functionality/usability/content rather than doing the development work.

Happy to help if I can though.
Chris