Is renters insurance really ok in USA?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Kelvin Denize

Is renters insurance really ok in USA?

Post by Kelvin Denize » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:39 pm

Ok, got my FAA with English proficiant on the back but all FBO's that I have found seem to want renters insurance now to cover any incidents.

A few years back this was not the case, seems to be a new thing. I think it was included in the rental last time.

But, when I look at the AOPA site I am directed to they want upwards of $500 for a years insurance. I only want to hire for a couple of days.

Those of you that cross the pond, do you get the renters insurance if not what do you do to cover your ass whilst out there?
Chair of the NW London and Herts strut with a orange PA28. Based at Elstree and loving it.

Frank Parker

Post by Frank Parker » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:06 pm

Kelvin:
It appears to be normal these days in the USA for flight schools to require renter insurance to fly solo in their aircraft. As you say, it was not the case some years ago, but I suppose times change. Talking to my local flight school here in South Florida, they suggest using AOPA insurance.

Frank Parker

Kelvin Denize

Post by Kelvin Denize » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:15 pm

It seems none of them are going to include it in the rental, looks that you have to go to a external company like AOPA to buy a whole years worth.

I think this little jolly of occasionaly hiring and flying in the good ol USA is comming to an end.

I am wondering if next time I hire a car in the USA if they will send me to a third party insuracne group or will they still be able to offer insurance with my hire car?

Not to worry, lots of other things to spend me money on in the USA anyway.
Chair of the NW London and Herts strut with a orange PA28. Based at Elstree and loving it.