Sherburn

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Paul Turner

Sherburn

Post by Paul Turner » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:02 pm

Well I was at the LAA Rally at Sherburn, real shame that LAA weren't there. Two commercial stalls, a LAA flag and that was it! What's the excuse this year guys? Swine flu???
As usual a brilliant welcome from all at Sherburn but lets get real , if we are going to call this a LAA event, the minimum would be to have a stall!!
Based on this performance, there is no way I'll be attending Sywell.
Paul

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:57 pm

I seem to think this was the same reaction a couple of years ago.

Anything north of Leicester..................... tumbleweed.

Oh, they work all week....

Oh, they can't get all that way on a weekend....

Well, it will be well supported locally......

I am sans aeroplane at present, but I would not turn up to a supposed LAA event any more.

After the debacle at Nottingham where The Bigmisters laid on an absolutely magnificent spread to all PFA members who had used their services, only to be rebuffed at the next event, well, sorry, it is not the way forward.

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:21 am

It's the inevitable result of having 6 times the number of events there used to be, all vieing for attention from the HQ events personnel.

When there was a single Rally, there wasn't much of a problem with staffing. With several Regionals, Popham microlights, Expo, Sywell, and maybe Splash, something's got to give.

Bristol Strut put up a presence at G-VFWE - it cost us time, a few hundred miles of travelling to get and return stuff and some incidental expenses, and was good publicity but only brought in 4 new members.

The LAA Education stand at Fairford was sponsored so no cost of tent etc, but manned entirely by volunteers - no HQ involvement - and did a great job bringing the LAA to the attention of the public.

It's just something the return of a single rally would solve. Meanwhile, grouching is just an easy, non-productive activity.

There is no reason why the struts of the region should not collect a publicity pack and use it to good effect, as indeed Devon does, and maybe some of the others.

Remember, it's not 'them' who are the LAA, it's US, the members!

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:49 am

I am going over to Sherburn in the car this morning and am already dissapointed.
Like the government the LAA is supposed to be democratic and if the members don't like it they can change it if there is a will. Sadly there doesn't seem to be (plenty of moaners though).
I want a National Rally with un-nazi like airside access to LAA members, no fixed slots and all things being equal a young man with a barrel on his back dispensing copious quantities of free real ale to all pilots landing after opening time (as long as he isn't flying again of course).
And to please the equality Police, models of all 3 genders holding up A/C boards to point the way to our parking areas.
To please the H&S why can't the LAA put in a couple of pages of safety instrucions prior to the Rally?
Any way I am going to Eshott on the 22nd/23rd as they promise a return to fun flying (we shall see) but it's help for Heroes and that works for me.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Dave's point about the local Struts is a good one, it is they who should take up the slack and represent the association at Regional Rallies. Paying staff travelling, hotels and days off in lieu is simply not cost effective. To that end, NC sought assistance for the regionals and other smaller events from the Struts and unfortunately most of them failed to respond, I guess it's easier to moan about the staff at HQ not attending than to actually do something positive and wave the LAA flag yourself. Incidentally I wasn't able to be there because I have just had a week's aerial tour of Ireland.
For my twopenneth I am disappointed that the regional concept has not gripped the imagination of the membership. My view is that we should go back to an affordable annual event, with unfettered airside access for members.

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:34 pm

Just got back form the SAC event. Good turnout, good weather, SAC made a good job of the organisation, almost zero LAA involvements at any level. I disagree with Brian, the ordinary members have turned out in numbers (weather permitting) to support the LAA OFFICIAL REGONAL RALLEY’S, but there has been so standardisation or control exercised by head office, so some events have been disasters and others have been very good. A lot of non-members have attended and slipped through our fingers.

Yesterday I was at the East Staffs flying club fly in. No LAA involvement at all, but unlike the OFFICIAL LAA REGIONAL RALLY, there was an LAA tent and it was getting a lot of interest. Well done to the West Mids Strut for there effort.

I will write up the event and add some comments on how we could do this better in future.

Rod1
PS airside access was no problem, which has been the case for all the LAA RR’s I have got to this year.

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:38 pm

There is a publicity pack? WOW

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:11 am

I understood HQ had set up a contingency sum for losses made on Regional Rallies. It was certainly stated at the events sub-committee meeting I attended that they were underwritten. Has HQ gone back on that this year?

There's no reason for a local strut to be taking the loss.

Maybe someone from HQ will correct any misunderstandings here - one of us must have it wrong!

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:00 am

Peter, if you are going to quote figures and point the finger, please do at leat tell the full story. The 2007 event was a washout, and HQ paid Devon the £600 that they were out of pocket.
As far as I was concerned, the same arrangements were in place for 2008, but to the best of my knowledge, nobody needed to use the facility.
Can you confirm who Devon Strut has spoken to this year about their financial loss and when? If there has been a problem over reimbursement then I would very much like to know about it.
Mr Kilbride, the marketing committee will be meeting at Turweston on Friday, commencing 10am. All are volunters, and all will be taking time off work to be there. Rather than take the piss you might like to come along and put in some constructive effort.

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:06 am

Mr Hope. I assume thats what you want to be called. I haven't even started to take the piss yet. When I do you will be the first to know. If you don't get a touch of sattire because of your inability to see and accept anyone one elses view other than your own then shame on you.
I am no Welshman or Mr hope who can only see things from their side of the issue of Rallies, nor do I wish to be ignored or indeed given an ultimatum to attend a meeting 150 miles from my home with 4 days notice.
I left the PFA a number of years ago to pursue other hobbies, but when a member I attended the National Rallies on my own time the week before each to help put up fences,erect tents and marquees and be a general dogsbody.
So MR HOPE I didn't attend meetings, I put in some constructive effort.
If the weather is good I may fly down to Turweston and attend the meeting, but with 4 days notice and no agenda I don't see how "constructive" I could be.
A little thought from the organisers of said meeting may been helpful to any member wishing to attend from further afield as to the timing of the meeting. :x

Jim Gale

Post by Jim Gale » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:47 am

Girls, girls..............

I'm sure that those amongst us who try hard to support and promote the Assn in whatever way, all put / have put a lot of effort into trying to make the LAA a better organisation for the members. (We had a great fly-in on Lundy yesterday, with 72 recorded aircraft visiting.)

Lets face it, for the Assn., Regional Rallies are not working; exhibitors are not attending; HQ are not attending; members have little incentive to attend other than treating the occasion as a major fly-in.

However, great as local / regional fly-ins might be, and long may fly-ins continue (which don't just materialise, they need effort to arrange), for certain the one major event the Assn NEEDS to MAINTAIN ENTHUSIAST'S MEMBERSHIP is a SINGLE CENTRAL RALLY.

If something is not done towards this end within the next 12 months then the unbounded talent of several hundred Rally volunteers will dilute even further and it will be harder still to stage an LAA Rally. What a waste of superb, hard working, knowledgeable talent!

HQ need to make a decision to hold a SINGLE CENTRAL RALLY and stick to it. Funding a problem? Why not approach the membership and say, "Our (your) organisation is tight for money but we really wish to run a Rally in 2010, would you be willing to pay an extra £5 each on your membership, that would produce at least £40000 of ring fenced underwritten finance for the event?" Surely this would be good way to approach the problem for starters and I'm sure most would readily accept that request.

How about giving it a go?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: