Moving to Oz

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Roger Partington

Moving to Oz

Post by Roger Partington » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:25 pm

Has anyone any experience of moving a PFA plane to Australia ? I know it's a long shot but just thought someone here may know about this. For example, is it possible to operate it as a G reg aircraft or will it have to be re-registered and how possible is it ?

Kelvin Denize

aviation australia

Post by Kelvin Denize » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:50 pm

Australia is very anti general aviation on the whole. I suspect you will find CASA very un-cooperative WRT your PFA machine.

My discussions with Australian aviators give a very depressing view of GA in Australia but from a "happy" side the light sports aviation seems to be having a bit of luck there.

I started learning to fly in Canberra thanks to a collegue. I do keep in touch with him and I did return two years ago to have a look at flying in Australia but found GA to be in such a funk and totally dead I decided to stay here and enjoy flying.

Trying to move a NSW car to the ACT is almost impossible I just cannot imagine moving a G reg aircraft to VH would be even though of let alone possible.
Chair of the NW London and Herts strut with a orange PA28. Based at Elstree and loving it.

Roger Partington

Post by Roger Partington » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:58 am

Good morning,

That's very interesting, thanks. I had been reading up on it last night on the CASA regs (http://www.casa.gov.au/rules/1998casr/021/021c04.pdf)and it looked as though, so long as the plane had been truely amateur built, there wouldn't be a problem. In fact I was feeling very hopeful as they seem to operate a proper experimental aircraft system, putting responsibility onto the builder (which suits me). The document was dated 2000 though so maybe things have changed.

Following your words of caution, I will dig a bit deeper and try to make contact with them to see how they react. I have no reason to doubt you but I do hope that you're wrong !

Kelvin Denize

changes after 911

Post by Kelvin Denize » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:58 pm

Sadly 911 changed a lot for GA in Australia, but this was also coupled with the privatisation of the airports. Canberra where I learnt has only one cessna left from dozens when I was learning and no flying schools from the 3 that were there in the 90's.

I do know the government has tried to get people away from IACO licences towards the light sport aviation. I do hear this is going very well so if your aircrft fits into this catagory you might be in luck.

The date of the document should serve as a warning, a lot has changed since 2000 from an aviation perspective everywhere.

You will find CASA usually friendly and helpful but if the rules don't suit you then they cannot change them.

Best of luck and I do hope to hear a positive experiance as it might encourage me to pop "home" to see if I can fly in Canberra again.
Chair of the NW London and Herts strut with a orange PA28. Based at Elstree and loving it.