Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

J.C.

LAA Rally 2010

Post by J.C. » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:10 pm

If we have one, can we please book the guy that did the radio for Sywell! :P
John Cook

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:30 pm

This will probably grow into the largest thread there is.

Question to the establishment;

What is the time frame for a decision on the 2010 rally?

In my opinion if we have not decided by early Oct we are not going to succeeded, (unless Sywell will take the risk).

Rod1

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:40 pm

I'm sure your opinion has been noted Rod.

Simon Clifton

Post by Simon Clifton » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:57 pm

Flew into Sywell on Sunday, everything I used or saw worked well so congratulations to all the organisers and attendees. We had the reservoir racetrack to ourselves and I even met up with LAA royalty (including Brian and Jon), fancy that!

There is only really one question about the 2010 rally - is the weather going to play?

I know no one can answer that. So to put it another way, if this weekends weather had been a washout, how much would I as an ordinary LAA member been out of pocket (attending or not), and by how much?

The LAA has my permission to risk the same amount of money on 2010 for a similar event. It needs no more, honestly.

Then, the weather will be kind, I betcha!

Simon C
~~~~~~

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:57 pm

Simon,
There was virtually zero risk to the association. Sywell were the event organisers and they kept the landing fees and entry fees. Now before folk start on about how much we lost out on... we risked none of the members money either. The Marquee was entirely funded out of exhibition space sales and Mike Bletsoe-Brown allowed us to have that space free gratis, even supplying passes for all concerned. The cash raised by this was seed funding for a 2010 event.

My personal view however, now that the dust has settled and hopefully all who attended had a good time, is that it's the perfect model for the future, zero risk, an excellent event which 'feels' like the old rallies (I couldn't see much difference myself). I guess long-term, we may end up outgrowing Sywell as we did before, but until then I believe we could polish this one and keep everyone happy.

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:54 pm

I understand there is an EC meeting on the 25th of this month. Perhaps the Rally will be sorted then?

Rod1

rans6andrew

Post by rans6andrew » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:14 pm

I'll second that request for the radio operator to be at the next rally. I was on the downwind leg when a twit in a helicopter casually called up for a bimble through the overhead, asking if there was any traffic! Calm as you like the operator said that he had about 200 aircraft inbound for a rally. I missed the helicopter response but the next comment from the ground was to explain the limits of the exclusion zone and something about NOTAMs. Priceless. If it had been me I think I might have been a bit rude with the helicopter!

I know it was not supposed to be an LAA Rally but the sticker they gave me when I payed my landing fee definitely says LAA on it.

Rans6Andrew

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:55 pm

Yes I heard that too, I was on finals for the hard alongside a yellow Zenith at the time. (he was going for the grass having done a tight circuit and cut in front of about three of us!)
John Cook

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:59 pm

Yes the EC needs to get to grips with this quickly and sort things out with Sywell for next year.
My vote is we stay with the same formula or very similar. Everything worked very well, only minor changes required.
Id like to see it as a full 3 day event.
could do with some more catering, but I think part of this is a learning curve with the Sywell caterers.
More people will probably camp, so might need some small investment on toilets and showers, but this needs to be minimal, not the £20k spent before.
I would change very little, it would help if ATC can get the exemption to rule 14, allowing aircraft to land safely on the long runway with it still occupied, there were several un necessary go arounds on Saturday because of having to comply with rule 14.
Slot system was sensibly applied and caused no problems it seemed.
Plenty of space to park a lot more aircraft, so no worries there, yet!
Thanks again Sywell.

Gaznav

Post by Gaznav » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:36 pm

I also thought that the Sywell event was so much better than what Kemble turned into a few years back. I do think we need to attract a few more exhibitors - this was probably my bigget gripe.

Other than that I gave it a "tick VG". The entrance fee and landing fee were great value.

I understand that the event was run by Sywell and assisted by the Milton Keynes Aviation Society?

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:27 am

My understanding was that Sywell ran the event, MKAS did the marshaling and the LAA ran the tent.

Rod1

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:56 am

actually most of the marshallers were the Air Britain team who are from the North Weald area and further afield, and marshall at all of the North Weald events and a number of others, many of them also used to marshall at previous Rallys. They worked with the MKAS team who controlled the gate and provided some marshallers as far as I understand.
And they all did an excellent job!

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:13 am

Surely the best date for a national rally is the weekend on which the Wimbledon finals fall.

If my memory serves me right, all the "PFA" rallies I attended from '77 to the late 80's were held over this weekend and the weather was always glorious.

I'm not counting the weekend when a few thunderstorm passed over the rally field and each time I ran across to my Luton Minor to check on the tie downs, I'd to find a half a dozen people sheltering under the wings and all holding on to the struts to keep it on the ground.

Happy days!
Roger Callow

Jim Alex

Post by Jim Alex » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:23 pm

:D I agree, back to the first weekend in July, three days, and hopefully that will bring more trede stands and the flea-market!

mikeblyth

Post by mikeblyth » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:03 pm

a twit in a helicopter casually called up for a bimble through the overhead, asking if there was any traffic! Calm as you like the operator said that he had about 200 aircraft inbound for a rally. I missed

So this guy did not check. Should get a slapped wrist and told to check

could have been an air display etc

Mike Blyth