Membership renewals

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Rob Swain

Membership renewals

Post by Rob Swain » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:21 am

Has anyone successfully managed to renew their membership on-line?

I've just tried and the page is utterly shambolic, displaying postcode in country fields, surname as date of birth, christian name as surname etc. I manfully tried to update this mess and then tried to renew but on moving to the payment page it informed me I was to be charged £0.00.

Understandably I wasn't going to put any payment details to such a lackadaisical website. If they can't get the basics right then heaven knows what cock-ups are lurking in the back office side of things!

Last year there were issues with online renewals and it was put down to teething troubles with the new website despite being 9 months after it was introduced! This year it seems to be even worse and that excuse isn't going to wash this time.

This is disappointingly unimpressive.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:49 am

Rob, I have just gone through the renewal process but put through incorrect credit card details and it worked OK, just declined payment.
Your critisism of the 'back office' is rather unfair don't you think, given that it is based totally on your experience with a machine, which like some people can be a complete pain in the **** sometimes for no apparent reason.

JonKil

Post by JonKil » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:26 pm

Yes,
I managed to join on-line, no issues at all.
Had a look again and went right through to the payment page.
Running Windows XP Pro with Firefox 3.0.4 and all is well.

Jon

G-AWMN

Post by G-AWMN » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:25 pm

I have just renewed on line and had no problems.

However I logged onto the web site with the sole intention of renewing my membership. Clicked on the front page membership link and then on the next page clicked on re new membership and was presented with a form as if I was a new member including choice of joining gift. I filled in the form, under reason for joining filled in “re join and membership number”. All accepted OK and a few days later new membership card arrived in post. Alas no free gift, Oh well worth a try!

After I had completed the form and made my payment decided to look around site and went into the membership area. (My details saved so straight in by just selecting membership area) Discovered using this route a slightly different form with all my log in details already filled in. Why when I tried first time and selected renew was I not asked to log in or directed this route?

This is not intended as a complaint but if this could be made easier for future please can it be done so.

Stuart Penfold

bertdeleporte

Post by bertdeleporte » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:26 pm

Hello,

I renewed in July, navigating through the "membership" area, no problem, the category was already registered ("Permit owner overseas with 1 machine" is one of the category, if I remember well).

Sometimes a Gremlin can cause some trouble in the database access, this is not peculiar to LAA site or any web database, every database can suffer temporary "mystery behaviour".

Bertrand