NPPL Exemption for Jersey and Guernsey

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Cookie

NPPL Exemption for Jersey and Guernsey

Post by Cookie » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:50 pm

Dear all,

I have recently been involved in negotiations, on behalf of the Light Aircraft Association, with the Jersey and Guernsey authorities to acquire permission for NPPLs to fly to the Channel Islands. I should point out that this was not a sole effort, but was completed by a team from both the LAA and AOPA on behalf of the NPLG.

This permission has today been granted, and has resulted in the issue of exemptions JSY100 and GSY100 by Fergus Woods, Director of Civil Aviation. There are a few conditions contained on the exemption which licence holders must ensure they comply with.

The exemptions are for a one year period initially, with the intent of re-issue on an annual basis.

Kind regards,

Cookie
Jon Cooke
Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:36 pm

Brilliant news Jon,

Please pass our thanks to the negotiation team

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:09 pm

Exemptions have now been uploaded to the LAA website.

See http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... pl-ci.html.
Jon Cooke

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:32 pm

Nice Job, thanks.

One question. As Jersey zone is inside French airspace (Brest FIR) are there any implications of DGAC not having approved NPPL(A) in French airspace?

Steve

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:48 pm

Steve,

Whilst the Channel Islands are within the boundary of the Brest FIR, they are actually in the Channel Islands Control Zone, extending from mid-channel (50N) from the surface to FL195. If you route via ORTAC, you will not enter French airspace.

Cookie
Jon Cooke

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:28 am

Well done guys.

I don't think we should go further without mentioning the role of the State of Jersey's Director of Civil Aviation, Mr Fergus Woods and his enlightened and open minded approach in all this.

Some people are often quick to denigrate civil servants and 'bureaucrats' as jobs worths and can't - do people.

It is my understanding that Mr Woods is still Acting Director of Aviation

see :

http://www.gov.je/StatesGreffe/Minister ... eport=true

and in the 6 months he has been in post, he has authorised easier CI access for Permit a/c and now this acceptance of the NPPL.

Bearing in mind his 'acting' position, I think he has been brave, can do, clearly open to logical argument, acted quickly, and been overall a revelation to aviation regulation.

Peter H / Brian H - maybe both a brief but conspicuous 'thank you' insertion in the LAA mag and a formal thank you letter from the LAA (particularly if/when he is confirmed in post after 31 Aug 2009 ) may be appropriate.

Regards

JonKil

Post by JonKil » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:37 pm

Well done to all involved in getting this done.

The part of the exemption that states that all NPPL holders must perform a flight with an instructor/qualified person to one of the C.I's and have his log book signed accordingly before he/she makes the flight unaided seems a ridiculous rule. This will most certainly prevent many NPPL's doing the trip, but at least it is a step forward and maybe they will relax this rule in due course.

Regards,
Jon

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:44 pm

The extension of the NPPL privileges to Channel Islands is welcome. well-done all involved for gradually nibbling away the restrictions.

Just to point out that those who have held a JAR-PPL or UK-PPL but now fly on an NPPL do not have to have an instructor endorsement.

Simon Clifton

Post by Simon Clifton » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:49 pm

Jon

Great news.

Any chance of getting an exemption on the continent next?

Starting with, say, just France?

Well done,

Simon C
~~~~~~

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:00 pm

JonKil wrote:Well done to all involved in getting this done.

The part of the exemption that states that all NPPL holders must perform a flight with an instructor/qualified person to one of the C.I's and have his log book signed accordingly before he/she makes the flight unaided seems a ridiculous rule. This will most certainly prevent many NPPL's doing the trip, but at least it is a step forward and maybe they will relax this rule in due course.

Regards,
Jon
You find a PPL mate to fly over with you that has done it before, then get an instructor/coach to sign that the flight took place. That's how I read it.

If so, hardly arduous.

Steve

bertdeleporte

Post by bertdeleporte » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:48 am

Once again,
congratulations to all parties involved in this successful action.

Bertrand

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:04 pm

Jon

Great news.

Any chance of getting an exemption on the continent next?

Starting with, say, just France?

Well done,

Simon C
Work in progress. I have been working on this very subject over the past week.......no promises or timescales, as the simple answer is I don't know.
You find a PPL mate to fly over with you that has done it before, then get an instructor/coach to sign that the flight took place. That's how I read it.

If so, hardly arduous.

Steve
Correct, Steve.

Happy landings!

Cookie
Jon Cooke