Insurance during a build

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Ian Melville

Insurance during a build

Post by Ian Melville » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:34 pm

Does anyone have experience of insuring an aircraft during a build? More specifically to cover tools and materials as well as any hull.

macconnacher

Post by macconnacher » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:50 pm

Covered by House contents insurance and named on policy.
Stuart Macconnacher

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:03 am

House insurance does not always cover outbuidings and contents to a satisfactory level for an aircraft build. There are a number of specific policies available, HR Jennings certainly do one for a very reasonable price.

Simon Clifton

Post by Simon Clifton » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:45 am

Our build was comprehensively insured during the build. It was a good idea because the kit was often in the charge of others, and transported from place to place.

It was done by H R Jennings, and cost about 420.00 GBP/year. They wanted to know all sorts, like if there was heating, and if there was any fuel stored in the workshop. We built in several locations, not always attached to a dwelling.

Good piece of mind anyway, and we easily upgraded it to flying insurance when the time came.

Simon C
~~~~~~

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:18 pm

Thanks guys,
I have had a look at the HR Jenning website and quote form, it would appear to be hull while in storage only. Can any of you who have a policy confirm is tools and workshop equipemnt are covered?

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:59 pm

I had Jennings kit insurance when I was building my RV, nowhere near as expensive as Simon's I think it was less than £150 per year. Cant remember if this covered the tools, but I would guess that they should be covered by your home insurance cover. The home insurance cover certainly didnt cover the kit though.
I shopped around by then (2000) Jennings were by far the cheapest (but never competitive for flight insurance!)