Nav

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ROB THOMASSON

Nav

Post by ROB THOMASSON » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:42 am

Anyone linked a gps to a PDA and loaded the digital caa maps onto it? Looks a cheap way of getting a decent gps moving map but are there any snags?

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:11 pm

Being a software developer my response is predictable: the biggest snag is likely to be having a Microshaft Operating System, unless you look for a PDA with a different OS.

I've seen the PDA/GPS option done before, using a dinky bluetooth GPS unit that feeds the PDA, overlaying your position on the half mill chart.

The biggest restriction / problem with this approach is that you are limited to north up display, as if you have a track up display the chart data is not re-oriented in any way, just being a scan of the original chart; basically when going south with track-up the chart is upside down on the screen.

If you already have, or will have use for, a PDA it looks like a cost effective GPS solution.
If however, you take the view, like me, that a PDA is the work of Satan and all his little wizards then a small Garmin GPS (96, 96c, or 196) may be a more cost effective option. The Garmin dedicated GPS options also have a variety of different mounts available for them (panel, yoke etc) which the PDAs probably don't.

I have a Garmin GPSIII pilot which I've had since before the PDA option was available, and is now discontinued (the 96 is its replacement). It is absolutely fantastic, in my opinion. "Does what it says on the tin", reliably and at a sensible price, but has loads of extra information if you go looking for it (airfield data, sunrise and sunset times etc), gives a selection of display options, holds routes (as I've only recently bothered to investigate - why didn't I sooner?) and can be persuaded to talk to your PC if that's your bag.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:01 pm

I agree ref the Garmin Pilot III - a little Gem- moving map of sufficient size to keep clear of airspace, lots of User defined waypoint storage, super easy in the air menu system (much better I gather than 196) - long battery life - and super reliable - I have never had it once drop out on me.
Even does VNav
Only downside is no built in VRPs (like all sub 496 Garmins) but these can be added manually as user Defined
Route plan at home on it.
Robust cheap simple & light
:D

gasax

Post by gasax » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:03 pm

I had a PDA with built-in GPS. I used the memory map landranger charts.

Yes it worked. But everytime I started it, the settings had to be sorted. Once it was running it was quite good.

But the screen was not really readable in sunlight and gtghe battery life was pretty short.

I'm now experimenting with a netbook, the screen is better and the settings stay 'set' - but it is bigger.
Pete Morris

pillpoppinpilot

Post by pillpoppinpilot » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:58 pm

I use at Mio Digi-walker with built in GPS, extendable aerial (never needed it). Excelent GPS pick up and you can see exactly where you are on your chart. Never had a problem with north up - I can read a map in any direction! I use memory map charts for UK and France.
As said though there is a problem reading the screen in bright sunlight even on the brightest resolution. Battery life has been fine upto two and a half hours - never flown longer! Anyway I can charge it from the plane.
They're small, handy, relatively cheap,show where you are on your chart so a quick look is all it needs then eyes outside! You can plan your routes on the PDA (bit small and fiddley though) or on the PC and download it.

It's exactly what you need for VFR flying. Confirm location quickly and then look outside.

Tony Smith

Bill Scott

Post by Bill Scott » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:40 am

I have a Mio P350 PDA with internal GPS, running the 250k CAA MemoryMap charts.
Very straight forward, so long as you use a PDA which has Windows Mobile operating system for compatabilty with the MM charts.
Further savings to be had by printing off sections of chart from the computer, rather than buying paper charts aswell.
I also print in grayscale, but I'm not Scottish, honestly 8)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm one of those folks who always uses a map/chart with north up. Just can't use them any other way.

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:30 pm

PDA's and GPS have been used by the gliding camp for some years, I have a Mio 350 pda, with "see you mobile", that is designed more specifically for gliding, but does have airspace terrain and airports, you can load seperateinfo if requires. Most use the ipaq 4700 as it has a good processor to handle the maps etc, you can buy all sorts of mounts for them as well. Garmin GPS III was a great little tool, I now have a 196, technically it's bog brother, if I want colour I look outside, and it uses too much of the processing power, IMHO. PDA's with GPS's are generally PNA, which most car GPS's use these days, use what your brain or wallet can handle and get to know your chosen BACK UP NAV they are handy !!

Will.

eyesoar

Post by eyesoar » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:16 pm

As Will says, these are in widespread use in cross-country soaring. Masses of useful info and comparative data on the Cumulus site here:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/ start with the comparisons tag at the top of the home page.
Also subscribe to the http://www.gliderpilot.net/ discussion group (u.r.a.s) and ask any question there, or search that forum for past discussion on the topic.

Roger

eyesoar

PDA

Post by eyesoar » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:21 pm

As Will says, these are in widespread use in cross-country soaring. Masses of useful info and comparative data on the Cumulus site here: http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/ start with the comparisons tag at the top of the home page.
Also subscribe to the http://www.gliderpilot.net/discussion group (u.r.a.s) and ask any question there, or search that forum for past discussion on the topic.

don't know what that failed first time?? :?

malcolm frost

Post by malcolm frost » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:49 pm

It would be worth having a look at SkyAngel http://fly.styli.sh/ which is free at the moment and looks superb, or at pocketFMS which I've run on a 747 with a £89.99 Navman car sat nav.