Part M has done for me!

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

MikeGodsell

Part M has done for me!

Post by MikeGodsell » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:49 pm

Well its finally happened. EASA part M has done for me! Using the old French rules (which were abolished on 28 Sept 2009) I managed to do all the maintenance on my French registered Robin ATL for more than ten years. Now my engineering qualifications and experience are as nothing, and I am permitted to carry out only piddling chores as defined by part M annex VIII. The Robin ATL is a very simple aircraft which ought to be on the LAA permit scheme. But as far as I can tell that will not be possible unless there is absolutely no manufacturers support for it. I would rather cut off my own arm than let the average mechanic service my aeroplane, AND charge me money for it! What to do... can I de-register the aircraft and make major modifications so that it becomes a 'homebuilt' ? Or should I hang it up in my barn as an ornament and hope that more sensible regulationd appear one day. Part M BAAAA.......AAAA! :twisted:

davec

Post by davec » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:16 pm

Part M is here to stay, if you think it's bad now it's only going to get worse, just wait until all LAA inspectors are required to hold an EASA B3 licence, to certify any inspections they carry out.
Last edited by davec on Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:31 am

Hi Mike, I'm afraid th only major mod likely to get the aircraft onto a permit would be to build a new fuselage, for that is what is deemed to be the prinicipal component when it comes to an aircraft's identity.
I have a friend who maintains his own CoA aircraft with a helpful engineering facility doing the sign off and he did not foresee any issues if it went to EASA Part M. As it happened it went to Annex 11, but maybe you can find a friendly outfit who will allow you to continnue doing the bulk of the work on your own aircraft.

MikeGodsell

Post by MikeGodsell » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:53 am

Thanks Brian... The French have just changed to part M (since 28th Sept 09) so there may be some 'creative interpretation' of the rules there, which I will watch with interest. Their grant of restricted part 66 licences to competent owners under grandfather rights for instance.
Otherwise I could take the wings off my ATL and start work on a Dieselis fuselage, and after all these years become a proper homebuilder! :)

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:13 pm

Mike,

Don't forget, you can do all the work on your aeroplane irrespective of whether Part M or not, provided it is signed for and administered under a suitable licensed Engineer.

I have done this for years and ran PFA and C of A aeroplanes on this basis. Most of the mechanics in a shop are unlicensed and are supervised by the Boss Fella.

Now, I would suggest you use your local contacts and develop an arrangement with a local establishment - get recommendations from similar pilot owners and your future should be OK. The wealth of knowledge that some of these Engineers hold, especially the older ones like Jerry (:wink:) can be invaluable. Don't forget a lot of Engineers are also very active within LAA LAA land.

Good luck

MikeGodsell

Post by MikeGodsell » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:06 pm

Since sounding off in my opening post the situation doesn't seem quite so bad. There are ways to minimise the effects of this tidal wave of bureaucracy. Here in West Wales a local engineer has been working his butt off to establish a sub part G & I organisation. He has had to endure countless investigations, form filling, workshop modifications, and all manner of hoops to jump through. The approval process has cost him serious money, and he will only get some of it back if he can attract enough aircraft owners as customers. In an impassioned talk with him he clearly showed me that the more people who sign up the greater the spread of costs and lower the individual charges for part M.
If I have to put up with this EASA b...st then supporting my local engineer is the way to do it. It is his livelyhood at stake here, while for me it is a passion but not an essential one.