Northrepps Airfield Planning - formal request for help

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:36 pm

I have also received a letter off NNDC plus their leaflet explaining about planning. Let's keep it up.
Bob Farrell

Norfolkjohn

Post by Norfolkjohn » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:24 am

Latest scores on the doors 266 for, 54 against, 2 "comments".

However quality / relevance of comment may as important as quantity of responses.

Nick - My interpretation of the noise / property value situation is the same as yours but I'm no expert.

I know the people at Nothrepps are very grateful for the support they have been receiving, but please keep it coming.

John A
John Allan

Norfolkjohn

Post by Norfolkjohn » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:28 pm

Ron - that sounds like an excellent plan :D

There is no doubt that many airfields, including Northrepps, are places of regular pilgrimage so clearly a "place of worship".
John Allan

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:05 pm

As you can apply for planning permission on anyone's land without their consent, why don't we club together and apply for something strange on the main detractors land and see how he feels !

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:12 pm

It took me two attempts to get an e-comment registered, but I have received acknowledgment today by mail, dated 24th, showing that NNDC were working to the last.
Nic Orchard

Norfolkjohn

Post by Norfolkjohn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:10 pm

Just to keep people advised the following update on the Northrepps planning application was posted on the BMAA Forum by Kevin Smith yesterday. Kevin is one of the people directly involved with the running of Northrepps. It appears the latest hurdle that will have to be climbed over is an intervention from Natural England on the grounds of bird disturbance along the North Norfolk Coast !

"Planning Committee were to hear application on 11th Feb, that was then postponed till 11th March and now looks like it will be heard in April or May. This is because the main objector alerted 'Natural England' to the fact that they had not been consulted. So, despite the Local Auth closing 'Consultation Period' on 4th January, they have now opened it up again to allow 'Natural England' to object. I understand the objection is on the grounds that Northrepps creates air traffic that is detrimental to the bird sanctuarys along North Norfolk coast. Northrepps has, apparently, caused a decline in bird numbers.

To say we are a little miffed is understated!!! There are five airfields nearer to the bird reserves than Northrepps, namely, Weybourne, Great Massingham, Burnham, Langham and Little Snoring, and thats not taking into account RAF Marham and Sculthorpe!!

Anyway...... we now have to comission another study/survey at a cost of a couple of thousand to try to disprove their objection.

It appears that 'Natural England' are a European recognised body and have to be listened to. The main objector has previously won a couple of awards from 'Natural England' so has the contacts. I have tried to explain to Planners that aircharts show the Bird Reserves and Pilots adhere to the chart markings. He said that some pilots do not. I did then say that if Local Authority put a new road in with a 50 mph limit and motorist exceed the lspeed imit, do they then close the road???

How the hell we're going to prove that aircraft in the air are not the responsibilty of Northrepps Aerodrome I don't know, as obviously ANY aircraft in the air over Norfolk is our fault.

Any way........another long wait....."

I dropped into Northrepps on Saturday (runway in good shape despite recent wet weather) and although there is frustration over the latest delay there is also resolution to keep fighting.

I for one wish them success !
John Allan

Norfolkjohn

Post by Norfolkjohn » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:24 am

The planning application was finaly heard yesterday but, unfortunately, the outcome was not as supporters of Northrepps had hoped. The result is effectively a state of limbo where a further 12 month period of temporaty permission has been granted. It seems that a vocal minority of locals and in particular a Lib Dem councilor swayed the decision against full permanent planning permission.

Details are reported here :

http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24/ne ... 3A50%3A190

I have to say that I feel this report displays a typical slant against light aviation and is some what patronising.

It is hard to see what else can be done over the next 12 months to bring about a more positive result if a further application for permanent plannimg permission is made.
John Allan

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:02 pm

According to the report John gave the link to:
Representatives from nearby Sidestrand and Roughton said their villages were already “blighted” by noisy microlights, gyrocopters and hang-gliders [my emphasis] from the airfield...
Those hang-gliders sure are are noisy b*ggers aren't they!?

Mike Mold

Post by Mike Mold » Wed May 26, 2010 11:32 am

I've received a letter from the NNDC announcing that the application for Northrepps to continue the use of the land as an aerodrome with an increase the number of movements from 1780 to 2100 and for t/o & landings in emergencies and limited banner towing, was approved on 14th May. Although they said the details are on the www.northnorfolk.org/planning website, I don't think the info has been updated yet.
Mike Mold
Jodel D112 G-BHNL
Watchford Farm, Devon
www.devonstrut.co.uk

Norfolkjohn

Post by Norfolkjohn » Wed May 26, 2010 4:12 pm

The letter from the council is not the full story. There are a significant number of strings attached and the permission is only granted up to 31st May 2011. If a further application is not made before that date the permission lapses and the airfield has to close. The full set of restrictions and conditions can be found here :

http://planweb.north-norfolk.gov.uk/Pla ... mkey=72456
John Allan