Sportscruiser canopy and tall people

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

bill king

Sportscruiser canopy and tall people

Post by bill king » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:51 pm

When the Sportscruiser first appeared, I could not sit upright as the canopy curved in considerably from the side.(I am 6'4"). Apparently the canopy was going to be modified to improve this. Could current sportscruiser owners/builders advise what happened and when. I am reconsidering buying one provided I can fit in it!

AlanR

Post by AlanR » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:26 pm

Hi Bill,

I have a Sportcruiser.

The original G2 Sportcruiser ( the original Agents first import)as you say had a slightly different Canopy but the G3 current spec Sportcruiser has had the Canopy slightly enlarged.
I am 6ft tall and weigh 14.2 stone and I am 'just' ok in it for height ( bags of room widthways)but I think you may struggle at 6'4'' although having said that it does just depend on your stature i.e long body ,short legs or long legs short body. I am long bodied.
I do find that though there are very few LAA aircraft that I can comfortably fit in. With some aircraft it is completely impossible, my head touch's the roof so what it would be like in turbulence heaven only knows.
Aircraft manufacturers only seem to make planes for midgets don't they!

Regards,

Alan Radford.

Kelvin Denize

Post by Kelvin Denize » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:50 pm

I don't fit in them either, the market for sports cruisers is zero when height above 6ft is taken into account.

Kelvin...6'7"
Chair of the NW London and Herts strut with a orange PA28. Based at Elstree and loving it.

rans6andrew

Post by rans6andrew » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:19 pm

Perhaps we should compile a list of those aircraft that do offer enough space for a fully grown pilot. I have flown some 20 hours in a Zodiac 601 while leaning almost across to the passenger seat. My partner complains, quite rightly, that I am steeling her shoulder room. My Rans offers more headroom. I am hoping to replace the 601 with a Foxbat A22 microlight soon. The Foxbat can be built as a Gp A if that's what you want.

Rans6 6'4" and long in the upper half.

Simon Clifton

Post by Simon Clifton » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:26 pm

I can say from personal experience over 50 hours or so that a 6 foot 3 inch (or 1.88m) pilot can easily fit into a SportCruiser (SC3) with room to spare.

It depends on your leg/body proportion, and on the rake of your upper half. The adjustable rudder pedals help here if you want a laid-back position.

I can also say that people less than about 5 foot 8 will get some benefit from a 'booster' under-seat cushion.

Simon C
~~~~~~
G-MOOV

Kelvin Denize

LAA people are scared of heights.

Post by Kelvin Denize » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:30 pm

I can say with experiance that people 2 meters tall cannot fit in the following:

C152
C150
CH601
CH701
Jodel (any of them)
Sports cruiser
Jabiru (all of them)
Aeronica or taylor craft (all of them)
Begal pup's
Stinson
Stearman
Yak18T (ok, rather uncomfortable but I do actually fit)
PA18

But, I can fit in and fly
Pa28
C172
Birdog
Chipmunk
and without flying it 747-300 and DC10

Most LAA permit aircraft are designed by famine victims or bulmic folk who suffer from vertigo in my opinion.
Chair of the NW London and Herts strut with a orange PA28. Based at Elstree and loving it.

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:41 pm

This is a joke, isn't it?

IME there is plenty of headroom in Aeronica (sic) Champ, PA18, Stinson & Stearman (ad infinitum... :roll: ) to start with.

Is it body length rather than headroom?
Nic Orchard

Kelvin Denize

Post by Kelvin Denize » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:20 pm

No not a joke, we tried with the devon strut out at Belle vue farm one summers day and I can promise you that I cannot get into these aircraft.

I am 120 kilo and 200cm tall, or 6'7" if you prefer. There is no way for me to curl up into such a small ball to get into taylor craft, aeronica (chief) and with the stinson the silly throttle leaver was smack bang in the way.

The bull dog, my knees hit the dash board.

One of them the taylor craft I think the compass was in a totally silly position.

Simply put, I wish I fell in love with basket ball...flying was the wrong choice by a long shot (pun intended)

My PA28 and a C172 both seem to work ok so I have to stick with them.

Those that have met me and tried to shoe horn me into their aircraft can vouch that this is no joke.

JonKil

Post by JonKil » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:56 am

Remember an instructor once saying to a tall (6 1/2 foot) student one time,
"I don't think your height is your issue, you're just an awkward shape !"
I fly a C42, I am 6'-2" and don't have an issue, my mate who is 6'-6" and also flies a C42 fits comfortably in it too, maybe we are just tall, but our "shape" fits the bill.

Jon

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:35 pm

I'm only just 6ft tall, but short of leg and long of body. I just about fit in my RV-6 safely with only one (admittedly 2" confor-foam) cushion.

"Safely" is the watchword here.

I have flown a VP1 with a canopy (unusual, I grant you) and my friend of about the same height fits perfectly. I had to slouch down in the seat, with the associated slackness of the straps and lack of support for the lower back. It was a fun flight but when I considered the injuries that would probably be sustained in a "very heavy" landing I decided not to fly it again!

My old Luscombe had bags of headroom, but I have noted the legroom is somewhat restricted for some taller souls.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.