Nats Aware - GPS Airspace Warning unit.

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:49 pm

Hi John, you will NOT (added 12th Feb) be getting updated charts, you will be getting updated airspace data to add to the charts that are loaded when you buy the Aware unit. Difference is of course that over time some physical changes like new roads, changes of shapes of towns etc will not be shown. Personally I don't see that as much of a problem in the short to medium (say 10 years) timescale, it is after all the airspace data that is the vital aspect.
Last edited by Brian Hope on Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Wighton

Post by John Wighton » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:23 am

Brian,
Yes of course the ground features will change but the main issue is positional awareness w.r.t. airspace. I have a 7in PND device (a UMPC) installed with PocketFMS (another great product for peanuts) which l use for flight planning, weather and comms/airspace. The AWARE unit is secondary/backup at the moment but will evolve into use as a constant display of a/c position as l intend to upload approach and airfield data onto the 7" screen. Flight scenario will be:
1. Flight planning using PocketFMS, download weather (it also does a doppler type overlay onto charts), check NOTAMs, PPR, print PLOG+214/215+fuel and comms sheet, dump plan to SD card.
2. In A/C - put SD card in 7" PND, start PocketFMS, switch on AWARE unit. Fold map, open eyes wide javascript:emoticon(':shock:') GO FLY.
Safe flying. John

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi John just noticed error in my original post, it should have read you will NOT be getting updated charts, only updated airspace data.