Suggestions for open cockpit GPS

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

paulbh

Suggestions for open cockpit GPS

Post by paulbh » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:49 am

I am a very new pilot looking for a suitable GPS (portable) system to use in an open cockpit of a MTO Sport Gyrocopter. Absolute ease of use is the main priority.
Please say why you suggest a particular model .

Thanks Paul

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:52 am

Depends what you want it for & your budget - UK & foreign long trips / routes for naviagating between waypoints - I use a Garmin Pilot III - all I need really and I find it fifficult to justify buying anything else.

If you just want to know where you are in UK and with free lifetime 28 day cycle updates for airspace changes , you could do worse than consider the new NATS / Airbox product Aware - £150 inc moving map, CAA maps of UK and airspace & proximity warnings/ all kept uptodate etc

http://www.nats.co.uk/6745-10724/NATS-a ... space.html

The updated version for £250 has some route planning capability too.
Not used either so can't vouch for it but worth looking at it.
Regards
Steve

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:25 pm

Paul, as I mentioned somewhere else on here, there's no substitute for 'proper' navigation. A simple gps compliments traditional dead reckoning nicely and easily avoids zone busts without all the fancy (and very desirable) features available on more expensive bits of kit.

I've always bought out of date models because they are cheap, and they've always served me well. My latest is a Garming GPS96, which I use in HSI mode (my compass is crap!). I load routes in via a free gps programme called 'Easy GPS' which interfaces with Google Earth. Once loaded I rely on my HSI display and the four boxes which show ETE, Distance to Next, Groundspeed and Track. I don't generally need to touch the unit unless I have to press Go To for any reason.

Needless to say I draw the necessary lines on the map and mark off my progress with a chinagraph on route. I actually bought it specifically to mount in my D9 Bebe when it's flying, as i think it suits the lack of space in the open cockpit! That's my two pennorth.....

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:21 am

I have been using a Magellan 315/320 for approx. the last 10 years. It is very basic, but has an aviation database and four primary navigation screens. Nothing fancy but perfect for basic VFR navigation. Very, very basic moving map capability, but I rarely use that mode. The display mode I use shows magnetic heading to waypoint, distance off track, distance to go, ETA and cruise speed etc.
Any of the low end GPS models will provide very similar functions.
Tony Nowak

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:28 am

My Garmin Pilot III has served me well as a basic tool to check my position and in a VP1 with no power supply and limited space on the instrument panel, it takes up little room and operates for up to 7 hours on the internal rechargable batteries I use and more than enough for an average days flying.

With many people upgrading their GPS such as the new Aware model, the going rate on Ebay seems to have levelled out at around £150, so IMHO you'd not go wrong if you opted for a Pilot III.
Roger Callow

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:49 pm

GPS III and GPS96 currently on Ebay, both finishing on Sunday PM, £62 and £70 currently, if you like the low cost approach - here you go!

paulbh

Post by paulbh » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:23 am

Thanks for all the replies and suggestion and comments; I had look earlier at the Airbox Alert C/W route planning as Steve also suggested and that does have some promise but I am from a risk adverse industry (commercial diving) and I am happy to wait for end user reports before I dive in (excuse the pun). I do hope to go into Europe at some time so the Airbox is on the wait and see list.
I have got to totally agree with Nigel comments regarding 'proper' navigation “plan the dive and dive the plan” works for me at work and has to apply while wandering around the sky, so I will continue to stick with the map but will have a closer look at the Garmin lll as suggested by Tony and Roger.

All the best
Paul

malcolm frost

Post by malcolm frost » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:44 pm

Paul
Well worth having a look at Skydemon, you can plan properly then transfer to a GPS.
http://www.skydemon.aero/