Avgas Supplier

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Dave Reid

Avgas Supplier

Post by Dave Reid » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:44 am

BP have been supplying 80/87 avgas to the Felthorpe Flying Group for some time. Sadly, however, they have just announced the closure of BP Coryton at the end of April.

With our several Gipsy engines, we'd like to continue with 80/87; can anyone help with contact details of an alternative supplier?
Thanks,
Dave

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:26 am

Dave,
Not much help, but the Moth club might be worth trying, they used to get 80/87 supplied in drums for their fly-in at Woburn, but that hasnt happened for a couple of years and not sure if the 80/87 was available for the last events.
I havent seen 80/87 anywhere for years, I didnt think you could get it at all!
Perhaps an alternative would be the Swedish 96UL, certainly much better for your engine than 100LL, I think they have virtually replaced 100LL with it in Sweden and its perfect for most LAA type aircraft, I guess its just those with higher power high compression engines that need the lead and cant use it.
Just need to get someone to start importing it!

Barry Plumb

Post by Barry Plumb » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Dave,

Shell have recently introduced a fuel which they call 82UL.

This from their web site;
Very recently a new Avgas grade 82 UL (UL standing for unleaded) has been introduced. This is a low octane grade suitable for low compression engines. It has a higher vapour pressure and can be manufactured from motor gasoline components. It is particularly applicable to those aircraft which have STCs to use automotive gasoline.

Dont know if this is available in the UK, but it may be worth enquiring.

Kind Regards
Barry Plumb

Dave Reid

Post by Dave Reid » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:24 am

Thanks for the hints. I'll investigate and report back if there's anything useful to be found...