Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Martin Ryan

Feb Mag

Post by Martin Ryan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Anyone seen a copy for Feb? Cheers Martin

rans6andrew

Post by rans6andrew » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:15 pm

I have mine, it only came on Friday though. For once the mag has arrived before the issue shown on the LAA homepage has been updated. Snail mail faster than the website, how does that happen?

Rans6A Andrew Cattell

CaptChaos

Post by CaptChaos » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:47 am

No, not yet.

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:22 pm

Mine arrived last Thursday.
Bob Farrell

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Hi guys, you should have received it last week, I got mine last Wednesday or Thursday and everybody up at the strip on Saturday had theirs. If you haven't received it by the end of the week call the office and they'll send one out. It seems we have a screw up by the Post Office every now and again and there's little we can do about it. We do tell them when we find out that maybe a certain area has had problems but to be honest you might as well talk to the wall for what good it does.
I expect Penny has been busy and not had time to get the website changed. We had a new server recently and it has been giving problems with some of the LAA emails, including mine, and I know Penny has been working with the IT contractor to get that sorted. I'm sure she'll update the homepage as soon as she has a spare moment.

Adrian Hatton

Post by Adrian Hatton » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:41 pm

Brian,
Got my mag early this week thanks.
I had noted that wall planner printing problems would mean that it had been delayed and would be in this month's mag.

I think it is a good idea to send a planner out to everyone, but most of us that use them have had one up and in use for nearly 6 weeks now so I would imagine quite a few of the LAA ones will probably not be used this year.

That would seem to be such a waste of expensive work and distribution costs - might it be better to consider going for the December issue bearing in mind that that one is almost always late arriving due to the inevitable postal problems around time of year anyway? it would probabably then hit the steps just at the right time for the planners to go onto workshop walls rather than into the recycle bin?

Just a thought.

Cheers
Adrian

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:52 am

A fair point Adrian. This is the first time we've had a problem with the planner that I can recall but it certainly wouldn't hurt to get it out with December rather than January. The only minor hiccup is that going earlier means less of the next year's events' dates have been announced and might miss being included.

Adrian Hatton

Post by Adrian Hatton » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:19 am

Brian.
Ah, but that is the beauty of a planner. Mine lives next to the kettle in the workshop - updading forthcoming events each month whilst perusing the latest mag and enjoying a cuppa is one of the jobs that is rarely missed (unless some rascal has cut the string securing the pen ... again).
:D

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:38 am

I agree we should try to get the wallplanner out in the Dec issue. Otherwise no point in putting January or half of feb on the planner!
As far as the Event dates, most of those on the wallplanner arent really relevant to LAA members anyway and most of the big events we are interested in have published the dates well in advance. And as Adrian says putting the events you want to go to on the planner extracted from magazines etc is half the fun and customises your Wallplanner to what you want.

I doubt that many LAA members are interested in Heli-expo Houston, EBACE, Geneva (exec jets), NBAA Atlanta (Exec Jets) Helitech Cascais, or at the other end, the Paramotor event at Faversham or world Rally Championships etc.
But the wallplanner didnt have Great Vintage Flying weekend, Wight Party (Spamfield), any of the VAC fly-ins, Shuttleworth events, Devon or other strut events, many of which were published a few months ago!

While Im at it, I also much prefered the old layout of the wallplanner, as it has been for the last few years with the months going across and all the weekends lining up, much easier to use and write things on yourself. Ive also now noticed that the days next to each date on the new wallplanner arent the right days! The day you need is on the other side of the column, next to the dates for the next month!

My Feb magazine was on the doorstep when I got hom Saturday, but might have arrived earlier in the week.
Excellent Mustang article and good content and photos overall I thought.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:42 pm

Hi Nigel, will note your comments re events and format for next year. The planner was actually finalised in Dec for the Jan issue and some of the dates had not in fact been published at that time. A technical screw up prevented it being ready to put into the Jan mag and rather than hold the mag we decided to send it out without the planner in it. Not an ideal situation but when the mag is delayed, the phones run hot at HQ and staff time is taken up that would be better used on more important work than explaining why the mag is late. It was one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't situations I'm afraid.

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:28 pm

Brian,

I think you did the right thing - as the Duke of Wellington said "Print & be damned!" It's Sods Law that most of the time you'll be damned! Great mag again.
Bob Farrell