Ethanol Free MOGAS Supplies

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Barry Plumb

Ethanol Free MOGAS Supplies

Post by Barry Plumb » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:53 pm

It is now getting to the point where most fuel supplies at UK forecourts contain up to 5% Bio-Ethanol. Many members who wish to use MOGAS in their aircraft are finding it difficult to locate sources of ethanol free fuel.
It would be useful if members could put a note of the supplier and location on the BB when they find a source of fuel that has been tested and shown to be ethanol free, or where the supplier can confirm positively that it is ethanol free.

I am sure that many members will be grateful for the information as it could save considerable frustration searching for good fuel.

Here is a starter for 10 from Stephen Hayman ......
I had a lead today in that I tested Esso 97 from my Esso garage in Borough Green which tested clear of 'E'.
Talking with a friend who works for Wts and Measures put me on to Esso Purfleet in Essex.
Bingo. Esso from Purfleet does not contain ethenol both in 95 and 97.
Purfleet supplies the SE!

Thanks Steve.

So, please do what you can to let others know of suitable fuel supplies, and locations, and don't forget to keep testing, as suppliers often change the specification without notice.

Kind Regards

Barry Plumb

mcfadyeanda

Ethanol Free MOGAS

Post by mcfadyeanda » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:59 pm

95 RON unleaded Shell, Birmingham (Harborne) tested free (CAA test) on 2 Feb '10.

DMcF.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:00 pm

Hi mcf, if by the CAA test you mean putting a small amount of water into the sample tube, adding the fuel, shaking and seeing if the amount of water has increased, then I wouldn't trust it. 5% of buggar all is buggar all and I really don't see how you could see such an insignificant increase even if there was one. The blue dye test is far more trustworthy.

mcfadyeanda

Post by mcfadyeanda » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:47 pm

Brian Hope wrote:....the CAA test ..... I wouldn't trust it. .......
Maybe. But the use of the test makes legal the use of the batch that passes the test (i.e as mandated by the CAA).

In fact, during that particular test the volume of water actually grew, probably a result of absorbtion of some the petrol in to the water.

DMcF.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:58 am

Hi Mcf, I'm not so sure you're onto a winner by saying you did the test and thus can legally use the fuel. Regardless of the effectiveness of the prescribed test, if the fuel has ethanol in it you cannot legally use it. Legal argument would surely say you didn't carry out the test properly.

Pioneer Flyer

Post by Pioneer Flyer » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:16 am

mcfadyeanda wrote:In fact, during that particular test the volume of water actually grew, probably a result of absorbtion of some the petrol in to the water.

DMcF.
The only component of gasoline that can be absorbed into water is alcohol. If there was an observable increase in the level, the fuel would not be legal for use. (Though this rule is unduly strict in my view and tighter than that allowed for Avgas, see below)
Brian Hope wrote:Regardless of the effectiveness of the prescribed test, if the fuel has ethanol in it you cannot legally use it.
I disagree Brian. Due to the complex supply chain in our Mogas industry, it is the case that virtually all fuel will have some alcohol in it, albeit in undetectable quantities in many cases. In recognition of this, even Avgas is allowed up to 2% alcohol content (on the basis of an allowed 2ml water level change in the water seperation test).

Mike Birchall

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:20 pm

Got this information from a friend in the petrol supply industry, which may be helpful:
1. Petrol supplied via the Milford Haven terminal is (or should be) Ethanol free.
2. All petrol on the Isle of Wight, with the possible exception of Tesco's is (or should be) Ethanol free.
3. Esso brand petrol supplied in the lower half of England and Wales should be Ethanol free but the issue is complicated by the fact some Esso forecourts get their fuel from other companies (not Esso).
4. Murco brand petrol supplied in the lower half of England and Wales should be Ethanol free.
5. All regular unleaded coming out of Stanlow refinery in Ellesmere Port DOES contain Ethanol.
May make hunting down potential ethanol-free outlets a bit easier?
Tony Nowak

Ian Law

Post by Ian Law » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:34 pm

I buy my fuel from a local independent filling station in Torquay (can't remember the actual brand) and I use the test tube method at present.
The tube is carefully marked with a very fine line and I take some time to agitate the mixture and then leave it to settle before checking for any displacement.
As far as I know this is an acceptable method, but if it isn't then I would like to know pretty sharpish. I will buy the proper testing kit if advised to do so!

Ian

John Price

Post by John Price » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:02 pm

Here's the thing, the EEC directive says that this year we should have between 5%-5.75% biofuel in all road fuels. That is ethanol in petrol and bio oils in diesel. Since we are obviously ignoring this, are we becoming French ? :D

John.

Pioneer Flyer

Post by Pioneer Flyer » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:32 pm

Not a correct interpretation of RTFO John.

The revised requirements in the UK for 2009/2010 is 3.25% of total fuel supplied. This does not mean that all fuel will have 3.25% biocomponent, it means that the average fuel supplied should* be 3.25% - this for example can be made up from say 65% sold with 5% biocomponent and 35% bio-free. Most oil majors avoid ethanol in gasoline as far as possible and meet their targets through biodiesel.

* 3.25% is not exactly mandated as credits can be purchased if this is not met. However commercial pressures mean that most oil co's endeavour to meet targets.

Tnowak - I cant answer for all of your points but nos. 1,4 and 5 are not entirely correct
Mike Birchall (Consultant surveyor in oil industry)

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:28 pm

Hi Ian, my purely personal opinion is that the CAA test is open to error and misinterpretation in the field. Maybe fine in a lab, but fiddling around with just the right amount of water to be exactly on a line, shaking it who knows how much to ensure all or any ethanol is absorbed, and noticing what is a small increment in water level is too subjective for me. Dropping a drop of dye or a dye impregnated cotton bud into the sample is pretty fool proof, it either goes blue (ethanol present) or it doesn't. No ifs buts or maybes. However, if you are happy that you can carry out the CAA test sufficiently accurately then by all means continue doing so, it's what works for you and gives you peace of mind that is important.

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:24 am

Hi Mike B,

Well, my source works for one of the smaller fuel companies who gave me that info. Perhaps fuel refined at Milford Haven is less likely to contain ethanol most of the time (for now)?

Regarding fuel from Stanlow refinery - that would appear to be the case (ethanol added), as a friend who always checks his fuel with the dye tester says he cannot now find ethanol free mogas in his area (Chester). That wasn't the position up until approx 2 months ago.

Tony Nowak

Pioneer Flyer

Post by Pioneer Flyer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:46 pm

Tony,

The Elf refinery at Milford adds ETBE (not an alcohol) to certain deliveries (but not all), ethanol can be added for certain customers (unfortunately I've been unable to determine which) SEM logistics Milford (former Gulf refinery) imports mogas from Europe where it may or may not contain ethanol. Chevron Pembroke adds ethanol to some deliveries but again not all.

As for the Chester area - it is an incorrect assumption that all Mogas there originates from Stanlow. Many deliveries in the area are also made from independent storage in Eastham. Also, not all Stanlow output contains ethanol.

Unfortunately, the situation is far from clear, but it is likely that it will become increasingly difficult over the next year or so to find ethanol free (to the extent where it will pass the CAA test) fuel.

lnpltd

enthanol in mogas ex texaco

Post by lnpltd » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:14 am

I have learned from my local Texaco garage near Honiton Devon that apart from an area near Bristol, where Texaco are making tests with ethanol added to mogas, until the end of 2010 other areas where texaco has fuel outlets should be free of ethanol TILL THE END OF 2010.

Obviously before buying fuel one should question the petrol station operators to confirm this and actually make a test to ensure that the petrol is indeed ethanol free.

Leo Collier