Is there anyone alive?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

J.C.

Is there anyone alive?

Post by J.C. » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:36 pm

Is there anyone alive out there ?
This forum seems dead, it used to be lively now it seems to be defunct.
My recent posts about the BB fly ins did not elicit a single response, in fact not one "BB er " turned up.
Does anyone give a flying fig? I get much more support from other forums which is a bit ironic bearing in mind they are called BB fly ins.
I might as well drop the BB bit . Maybe DAAD would be better.(Dead As {a} Dodo).
John Cook

Kelvin Denize

Post by Kelvin Denize » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:22 pm

Well JC,

We held a fantastic flyinn at Elstree last year with about 50 aircraft comming and a really fun day for all. In the end I guess about 70 people made the effort to come along.

When I put a suggestion up on your BB flyinns you rather ignored me and instead posted here that you have no responses and the BB is as dead as a dodo.

I responded, me being one is not none but I think I will just leave it right there.
Chair of the NW London and Herts strut with a orange PA28. Based at Elstree and loving it.

CP

Post by CP » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:41 pm

I asked about advertising on the site.... I'm pleased no one took me up on it!

www.aveoeurope.com

Paul Whittingham:D

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:32 pm

Hi John, didn't make the fly-in because the wx and the forecast weren''t up to much on Saturday.
Pity we couldn't have had it today!

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:18 pm

Same here John, I am trying to go to as many as possible this year,but wx hasn't allowed it yet. As I consider myself a low houred pilot I can't rush into dubious weather.
Rest assured as the conditions improve I will be attending.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:42 pm

Still here... I check this forum at least once a day.

This year has been horrible so far, on the few times the weather has been OK, the Grumman has been booked already :(

I've bought a Luscombe share, but not even managed to start the taildragger rating yet.... soon I hope.

Intending to make as many fly-ins as I can this year in one Aircraft or another!

Cheers
Chris

gasax

Post by gasax » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:11 pm

I also check it once a day - but there is usually nothing much to say.

A small membership and somewhat hamfisted past moderation mean I tend to post elsewhere. Shame but sort of inevitable.

Anyone noticed that the CEO's blogs are less frequent than a 'blue moon'?
Pete Morris

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:40 am

I confess I don't pass by here often nowadays. We often plan trips online with people that can't post here so I look for flyin info and who is going to what on Flyer forum which is open to all.

This forum gets active when there are 'issues' within LAA and I see the lack of traffic as a sign that the organisation is in safe hands.

Steve

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi Welshman, the committee, or to be more accurate the Board as it has become under the new Association structure, is listed in the front of the magazine (page 5). It does meet regularly but do you really want pages given over to boring committee reports rather than interesting articles abour aeroplanes? Much of the work is done at committee level - organising the Rally, the new navigation competitions, consultations etc, and that does all find its way into the magazine.
As far as the website is concerned I'm afraid I have very little to do with it as I'm kept busy with other things. There have been discussions about making some changes but I am not aware of the timescales. Cost of course is an issue, particularly at the moment with the general downturn in the economy. Penny does her best to keep things updated, but if she isn't sent the information she can't post it up. I do know she has recently written to all the Struts seeking event information for 2010 so hopefully that can be updated very soon.

Chris B
Site Admin

Post by Chris B » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:11 pm

Having attended a couple of EC meetings and a Board Meeting, it is incredible to see what is being done on our behalf to protect our interests. A fantastic job is being done - but very little is obvious until an achievement is made.

A lot of what goes on is politically and commercially sensitive and rightly not for further distribution.

In the spirit of the Association and open governance, it is a crying shame that redacted Minutes of Board meetings are not available to members online to give an idea of the broad range of issues being dealt with. If the CAA Board can do it, why not us?

https://www.caa.co.uk/docs/286/CAABoard ... sDec09.pdf

Brian, perhaps you could enquire at the next Board Meeting?

Chris

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:28 pm

Hi Chris, as long as I don't have to do it I don't mind asking the question. John Broad prepares the minutes and it may be possible for a precis to be prepared for puttiing up on the website.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:34 am

Just logged on to the event section to see what is happening this weekend.Not only is it blank, its still got 2009 on it.
John Cook

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:39 am

That's a bit anal J.C. you've been sounding pretty despondent these last couple of years.
Please don't get like some contributors to these pages by thinking it's all a conspiracy !

There's a whole section marked 'Fly-Ins' on the main Forum with e.g. North Weald as I'm sure you really know.
Chances are with that dichotomy our staff are being pressed to do higher priority tasks to enable us to fly at all. Again as you well know

Perhaps you might consider volunteering to keep the Home web Events page updated. {BTW I usually look at Dave Wise's list via the RAC, theis forum & the BMAA site}.

mike