Mode S CAA meeting

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

John Price

Mode S CAA meeting

Post by John Price » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:28 pm

Sorry I missed the meeting on Saturday, but do any attendees have any initial feed back for us . Was it informative ? Or did the CAA just turn up and say nothing and thus promise nothing, and will probably do what they want anyway seeing as they are not footing any bill .

John. :(

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:48 pm

Here are my comments (do correct me if I got any of this wrong):

1. Little, if any, progress regarding a LPST. The CAA representative thought, in his opinion, it was unlikely a lower wattage transponder would ever be formally accepted by EASA.

2. Unlikely you will need a mode S transponder for many years if you only fly in UK and keep out of CAS and TMZs.

3. Seems that TMZs are likely to be established in places that experience high levels of CAS infringements (or very congested areas where the risk of a collision could be high, for example, below the London TMA). The process for determining if a TMZ is warranted for airfields is still TBD. Was quite a bit of discussion on "if a TMZ is required now why no previous applications for CAS?"

4. Regarding whether the CAA will mandate the carriage Mode S transponders for flying abroad would seem to depend on what neighbouring states implement.

5. The point was well made to the CAA that, for some aviators, the cost of equippage could be around 25% of the value of the aircraft/glider. CAA rep. didn't necessarily think that was a valid reason for not equipping. He made the point about all the other "safety" features that Mode S would bring to all aviation!

6. Was a discussion on the possibility of funding from central Government / Airlines. CAA rep. indicated that some sort of letter / enquiry was being made but couldn't go into details. One attendee made a very good point about GA being asked to pick up the bill for the Government required improvement in aviation safety/collision avoidance. "Everyone" benefits but only GA has to spend significant amounts to realise this requirement.

7. A CD / DVD is being produced which puts forward the CAA's case for the need to equip with Mode S. Should be available in a week or so to all.

Tony

Frank Parker

Post by Frank Parker » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:40 pm

In the USA the push is towards ADS-B, which does not need a radar system to function. A ten year implementation time period is projected for this. Was any mention made of this alternate to Mode S? If ADS-B is to be the internationally accepted system in the not too distant future, it seems that requiring Mode S now may not be the most sensible way to go. Or will Europe not adopt ADS-B?

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:20 pm

Parkair, the US is NOT adopting ADSB to the exclusion of Mode S. They will have Mode S and ADSB will be as well as, not instead of it.
The reality is that we are going to get Mode S, we must all now ensure that we respond to the Consultation so that we get our views across and get the best deal we can. John Brady will be putting an article in the May magazine highlighting the major issues that we need to address in our responses. The Consultation runs until the end of May.

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:08 pm

True in the sense that ADS-B uses mode S protocols. The FAA announcements make it clear ADS-B is their final solution.

Parkair, those of us that attended the November Turweston meeting will recall that Andy Greenwood the CAAs consultant on the subject recommended anyone buying MODE S would be wise to check it can be upgraded to ADS-B.

There was an extensive discussion on the ADS-B/Mode S subject on the old BB but that appears to have been removed and I ain't typing my bits in again.