MOGAS

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Joe Iszard

MOGAS

Post by Joe Iszard » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:12 am

:?:So our Government want the fuel companies to add 2.5% bio fuel to mogas as from April next,

This will (should) ground all mogas burning aeroplanes, as legally, we must not (knowingly) have any bio fuel content in our fuel (as I understand it).

Bio fuel content = no insurance, please someone tell me I'm wrong,

Joe

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:58 am

Hi Joe, ethanol in mogas is a very big headache at the moment. LAA is currently looking at ways and means of detecting ethanol in fuel, the current recommended CAA method does not work. Additives to combat the potential corrosion issues that ethanol can bring are also being investigated.
LAA is seeking funding into research on the effects of ethanol on aircraft engines and components. Unfortunately the petrol companies are not interested because they do not condone the use of mogas use in aircraft.
Some light at the end of the tunnel comes from other activities that also see problems ahead - the vintage and classic car and motorcycle fraternity for instance. There is also a suggestion that some of the petrol companies are not in any great rush to comply with government due to worries about liability over potential problems with cars.
Unfortunately no firm answers yet, but LAA is on the case.

Joe Iszard

MOGAS

Post by Joe Iszard » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:58 am

Thanks for that Brian.

Joe

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:31 pm

This has been discussed on the old site if you can still get to it. The ETBE based bio fuel is the obvious way round if Ethanol cannot be cleared. The only question is how easy it will be to get in any given location.

Rod1

howell

mogas

Post by howell » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:53 pm

When will this Ethanol come into effect April 2008 or April 2009 ?
Christopher Howell

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:12 pm

“When will this Ethanol come into effect April 2008 or April 2009 ?”

That is a difficult question to follow. Some outlets (Tesco and some other supermarkets) have started putting it in now. The rule on Biofuel comes in 2010 but that does not mean that Ethanol will be in all fuel as this is only one option (see above). Do the test, if it passes use the fuel.

Rod1

Pioneer Flyer

Post by Pioneer Flyer » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:24 am

RTFO applied from April 1st this year, but none of the oil majors are currently adding any biocomponents to their Mogas yet. Will advise on here if/when they start.

Certain* Supermarket's fuel does currently have biocomponents though, although chances are you will not detect them using the prescribed test.

* Not allowed to say which ones, sorry :roll:

Pioneer Flyer

Post by Pioneer Flyer » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:26 pm

True, supermarket fuel does come from a variety of sources, and I'm fully aware of those (its my job to be).

I say again, certain supermarket fuels contain bioethanol. Oil majors fuel currently does not.

Jim Gale

Post by Jim Gale » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:50 pm

We had a Strut talk by Shell last Thursday and if I heard it correctly they start introducing bio next April, anywhere in the UK until all their refineries/depots have it in 2010. We were told NOT to use Mogas at all now because other outlets have it already. Use it, have a problem and apparently your insurance is void. :(
Jim.

Pioneer Flyer

Post by Pioneer Flyer » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:10 pm

Shell's policy has always been to discourage the use of Mogas in aviation.

With regards to insurance - most biogasoline in the UK can only be detected by fairly advanced analytical techniques, and is virtually undetectable in the CAA prescribed test. An end-user cannot be expected to undertake anything more than the prescribed test, so insurance will not be affected.

Test the fuel using the prescribed tests - if it passes use it. If you want to avoid bioethanol altogether I suggest you avoid Supermarket fuel (for the time being at least)

howell

Mogas

Post by howell » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:46 pm

Is there an official document issued by the LAA that states Mogas used in LAA Permit aircraft is banned.
If not should there be an official command or is it not that simple!
Christopher Howell

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:29 am

“Is there an official document issued by the LAA that states Mogas used in LAA Permit aircraft is banned”

There is no ban. Why would it be banned, almost the whole fleet at my strip runes on the stuff, Rotax strongly advises against the use of Avgas…

Rod1

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:56 am

Who knows after recent news of hardship in poor countries because of food prices there may a U turn by the EU on forcing the addition of ethanol.

All the city's pond life that used to have their snouts in oil have started speculating with raw food prices on the commodities market. This is all because of bio fuels. The resulting price increases are causing inflation in developed countries. In third world countries people are really struggling. Perhaps the bio fuel zealots will rethink their "green" agendas now they realise they may starve people. Who knows it may even get through the thick skulls of our politicians if they think it might lose them some votes !!

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:05 am

A safety point to consider is that Mogas has a somewhat higher volatility / vapour pressure than AVGAS. This explains the necessity to have restrictions on the use of Mogas in ambient temperatures above 20 deg C.

In the unlikely event of an accident, Avgas is thereforeless likely to 'light up' from hot surfaces or weak ignition sources.