Insurance again!!

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Brian Robe

Insurance again!!

Post by Brian Robe » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:11 pm

Insurance time again.
Onrisk have decided they dont want to trade anymore. So as seems to happen every year I am hunting for insurance. At present I have a quote from Joint Aviation Services which is satisfactory but they seem unsure as to the minimum insurance requirements for my Champ (554kg mtow). The CAA website specifies a minimum of £1.5m third party but I am unsure of passenger requirements. Onrik was £85K but Joint specify £125K also I will buy Crown indemnity of £7.5m and hull groundrisks.
Does anbody know of the legal requirements or where to find them?
Probably set out in a past LAA magazine article if I could find it.
Warm humid and breezy up here in Northumberland.
Regards to all.
Brian.

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:32 am

The minimum insurance requirements can be found in EC Regulation EC 785/2004 and The Civil Aviation (Insurance) Regulations 2005.

The minimum passenger liability limit is 100,000 SDR's per passenger but anyone who thinks that is anywhere near sufficient is not living in the real world.

john t m ball

INSURANCE

Post by john t m ball » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:12 pm

If you look on the CAA web site - G-INFO for your registration you should be able top work out exactly what is the MINIMUM requirement for your weight and seating capacity. Bear in mind these are only minimums, you should buy as much as you can afford. You should also ask your broker where they place your insurance. Is it with a Lloyd's syndicate or a UK based Insurance company. Do you really want to be insured with security in another country ? There are several reputable Insurance brokers that advertise specifically for our LAA type aircraft - HSBC now MARSH, speak to Tony Mitchison. HAYWARDS, speak to Nigel Foster or Tim Proctor. Traffords, speak to Greg Hill. ---- YES I am an aviation insurance broker who works for another company, but do not place light aircraft insurance, only executive jets etc. So I do know all the other rival brokers and all London underwriters. I trust one of the above brokers to place my RV6.

Gavin Bell

Post by Gavin Bell » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:47 pm

I sent off for 3 insurance quotations.

Newly qualified pilot with no taildragger experience
DR1050
Agreed value Hull insurance
Legal cover
Any Pilot under 65 yrs with 100hrs+ and current on taildragger
Minimum 15 t/o and hopefully 15 landings before can go solo

Traffords came in at just a smidge over £1000. The other 2 I tried were £1500 and £1600 each.............

Insurance now in place with Traffords, very easy to deal with and helpful.

Just waiting to take delivery and start training :-)

Gavin

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:02 pm

Minimum 15 t/o and hopefully 15 landings before can go solo
Traffords made the same stipulation for our Jodel D9 syndicate...so we had gently to point out it is a single-seater!

Bill Scott

Post by Bill Scott » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:36 am

Traffords are good in terms of customer service. When I was getting close to the moment of truth last year and would be getting my Rans back up, they set up my policy (3rd party) and waited to take the payment and commence cover until I rang them and confirmed that the aircraft would be in the air the next day. I had used them because they wrote to me offering cover at a very affordable cost and this years renewal is equally good value.

As for having to gently explain that solo is the only option in a single seater, I had to smile. I guess that anyone on the other end of the telling-bone who has all the data in their head is prob 90 a geek/anorak :)

When OnRisk first came on the scene I was curious. I recall a Company based in N Cyprus. At that point I ruled them out as I'm familiar with how that place works and have no confidence in risking a single shekel there.

u648522

insurance again!

Post by u648522 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Trying to finish off the planning for a world trip and find that getting insurance to cover this is really difficult.
Could anyone out there with underwriting knowledge please explain exactly where the risks are and how they might be mitigated?
Any help/guidance much appreciated.
Patrick Elliott

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:36 pm

Imagine yourself as the underwriter of a profitable syndicate writing aviation business relating to aircraft based in the UK with a policy restricted to flights in Europe.

Why should you put that profitability at jeopardy by accepting a venture which you don't fully understand the risk factors involved?

You need to consult a qualified, knowledgeable broker with some good connections and a persuasive manner.