Boring Old Factory Built Types

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Bob F

Boring Old Factory Built Types

Post by Bob F » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:45 pm

Any one out there fly the the Boring Old Production Line Types like me. We're all very quiet on the BB. Can't leave it all to these DIY Guys (& Dolls) to hog everything now we are the LAA!

Bob F

Jonathan Wilkins

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:52 pm

Carefull now. . . . . some types come both factory built and as kits/plans. Lets not be production-ist! I fly both!

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:55 pm

Jonathan,

Point taken. Just trying to 'broaden the horizon' of the BB.

Bob F

leiafee

Post by leiafee » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:11 pm

No aircraft's boring -- they all get you up in the sky :D

I fly a shared CofA Piper Tomahawk and have plenty of fun.

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:33 pm

“No aircraft's boring -- they all get you up in the sky”

Tricky, C172 gets airborne but is very very boring.

Rod1

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:02 am

In all seriousness, we could do with some more lobbying to help resolve the situation of production aeroplanes, no longer in build, poor support from the manufacturer that could easily be brought under the control of LAA LAA.

This was talked about some time ago but nothing seems to have happened. My Brother enjoys a PA12 (sic) on a permit when most of the other UK ones are on C of A - daft !

Well done Bob F - you've got the job mate :shock:

Jonathan Wilkins

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:03 pm

Yes Bob, you have us all chatting now.
I fly a nice Piper Colt which is on a C of A, so why can you go out and buy a Piper Vagabond (which really is only a Colt with a smaller engine and a Tailwheel) on a Permit??? They are both factory built aircraft so what is the difference?

jamie_duff

Post by jamie_duff » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:46 am

I know a very nice man who owns a Cessna 120 on a Permit, based at Insch, Grampian, Scotland. It's a lovely little aeroplane.

I replaced the cylinders on it's engine, and spent hours lying down the back of the fuselage painting it.

The climb performance is leisurely with both of us in it though :lol:

Mike Cross

Post by Mike Cross » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:15 pm

Boring Old Production Line Types
What boring like Luscombes, Austers, Taylorcraft, Cubs, Jodels.........?

Come and join us for the Luscombe Tour and/or the Luscombe Rally. We're not elitist, hell we're even letting Rod1 play with us in his carbon fibre 143 kt bathtub and Rob Swain in an RV6 following his novel trick or parking the Luscombe in a tree last year.

http://www.europeanluscombes.org.uk/com ... um.php?f=4

leiafee

Post by leiafee » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:53 pm

Rod1 wrote:“No aircraft's boring -- they all get you up in the sky”

Tricky, C172 gets airborne but is very very boring.

Rod1
But one of those happens to be the easiest way for me to take along younger family members who need/want a parent along and their over excited squeals make it anything but boring, and leave me dancing with a huge grin for days...

Maybe I'm just easily pleased.

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:35 pm

Hey Guys,

I only used the word 'Boring' to get your attention, I knew you were out there somewhere. Let's keep it up.

Mike, just had a look at the Luscombe Tour - Good luck, looks like a great weekend. Hope there will be lots of pics.

Jonathan, What reg is your Colt, I have a couple in my logbook from when I first started flying lessons. I thought they were great. Does my memory serve me correctly in that they had no flaps?

Bob F

Jonathan Wilkins

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:49 pm

Well Bob, our Colt isnt actually mine but im about the only person who fly's it. Its G-ARKP, she had a complete rebuild about five years ago and runs sweet as a nut. Yes you are correct, no flaps, 70kts all the way in on approach, anything less and youl be parked in the field short of the runway. Other quirks include masses of adverse yaw, in fact so much that you steer to starboard in a turn to port with loads of rudder kicked in to keep the ball where we like it and vice versa. Also the Colt totally refuses to stall, merely wallowing around with its stubby nose pointing at the sky obviously loosing masses of altitude at the same time very quickly.
I love it though, its great for Sunday evening balloon spotting and for touring it carries everything bar the kitchen sink although dont expect a short field take off, especially on a hot still day! Bring back any memories???
Anyway, nobody has explained to me yet the difference between a Colt and a Vagabond???

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:48 pm

Jonathan,

I didn't fly in your Colt, G-ARKP, but close: G-ARKN, G-ARKR & a few others, of Jim Keen's Liverpool Flying Club late sixties, early seventies. He also had a Piper Tri-Pacer, 4 seat big brother of the Colt - that did have flaps.

The Vagabond, besides being a taildragger, had a smaller engine than the Colt (60hp?) and had a joystick instead of a control wheel. It was supposed to have saved Piper after WWII. Read somewhere that the original Tri-Pacer was also designed with a tail wheel.

Bob F

Mike Cross
Site Admin

Post by Mike Cross » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:07 am

PA22 Tri-Pacer is the trike version, the one with conventional gear is the PA20 Pacer