Boring Old Factory Built Types

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:12 am

Mike Cross wrote:...and Rob Swain in an RV6 following his novel trick or parking the Luscombe in a tree last year.
Oi! I thought I'd hushed that up quite well! :lol:

What I want to know is when they are going to scrap the utterly arbitrary rule that you can't import a classic and put it on to a PFA, sorry, LAA permit, even when there are other examples of the type on a permit.

Does seem daft that some can operate that way but others can't purely based on when it was imported! It's especially daft when you can import an "Experimental" and stick it on a LAA permit.
Last edited by Rob Swain on Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

Mike Cross
Site Admin

Post by Mike Cross » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:36 am

Nige has been practising for years to do what you did Rob!

Trouble is he can't quite get the hang of it.

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:14 pm

Mike,

Maybe Nige needs to try a different type of tree.

Bob F

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:46 am

:shock: I'd like to think that those piccies were produced in photoshop, but with Nigel I'm not so sure... :lol:
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:05 pm

And on behalf of the Aeronca Club, whether it likes it or now, we're here.

By the way, off topic, there's a rather nice picture of a certain Champman on that other pplace next to the AN2 (not sure if that counts in this thread, but he certainly does) in the thread about flying big aeroplanes.

Bodmin soon, d.v.

:)
Nic Orchard

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:08 pm

“What I want to know is when they are going to scrap the utterly arbitrary rule that you can't import a classic and put it on to a PFA, sorry, LAA permit, even when there are other examples of the type on a permit.”

If your classic is an Auster or a factory built Jodel then you can now. Would not be surprised if others follow in time.

Rod1

Mike Cross
Site Admin

Post by Mike Cross » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:32 pm

I think Art 11 is the bugbear Rod
Issue, validity, etc., of national permits to fly
11 (1) The CAA shall:
(a) subject to sub-paragraph (b) issue in respect of any non-EASA aircraft registered in the United Kingdom a national permit to fly if it is satisfied that the aircraft is fit to fly having regard to the airworthiness of the aircraft and the conditions to be attached to the permit;
(b) refuse to issue a national permit to fly in respect of a non-EASA aircraft registered in the United Kingdom if it appears to the CAA that the aircraft is eligible for and ought to fly under and in accordance with a national certificate of airworthiness.
I think what happened with the Luscombes was that Renaissance Aircraft Inc were going to put it back into production and provide support, CAA therefore said if there's a TC holder supporting it then it should be on a C of A so no more Permits. The fact that Renaissance now appear to be defunct doesn't seem to come into the thinking.

Jonathan Wilkins

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:05 pm

Bob F
Did you ever fly Jim Keens Yellow Cub, it was up to a couple of years back G-A??? but was sold to the Tiger Club at Headcorn as G-LCUB. This is another aircraft i currently fly and as you mentioned Liverpool just wondered if you had flown her?

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:31 pm

Jonathan,

Unfortunately I never did fly the Cub. I'm pretty sure the reg. was G-AYPR before G-LCUB. You mention Jim Keen, a legend in these parts, he gave me my first flying lesson. I also flew in Jim's Boeing Stearman G- BAVO in the 70's. I think the actor Martin Shaw owns it now. You seem to be in some kind of Avaition Utopia down there! - spoiled for choice springs to mind. Do you know that Jim's wife, Kathy & his son, Martin are still going strong at Liverpool Airport, running Liverpool Flying School & Keenair Ltd.

Bob F

Jonathan Wilkins

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:25 pm

Yes Bob, i gathered they were still active at Liverpool although favouring more modern types now i guess. And yes Martin Shaw does own G-BAVO and i believe he recently had it completely rebuilt after a landing accident.

Im lucky that i work on the airfield at Headcorn so although i still have to pay to fly some aircraft i do get a pretty good choice. Unfortunately my Turb is still waiting for parts from France (i think they are all on strike....again) so im flying the Cub most of the time although im actually being checked out on the Tiger Moth this week, making the most of the settled weather down here.

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:12 pm

Jonathan,

Tiger Moth - that's really rubbing it in!

Yes, Kathy & Martin are into more modern types, PA28, PA38s & C172. I was in Keenair's hangar last week & it's home to a Colt, Stampe & Stearman amongst the more modern stuff. Hope the weather keeps good for your Tiger check ride. Let us all know how it goes.

Bob F

Jonathan Wilkins

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:32 pm

Hi Bob,
I flew the Tiger this evening (G-ANJA), i must say quite tiring too. We did a lot of spinning, my check pilot, whos a very experienced Tiger pilot believes that its important to be aware of why the aircraft enters a spin as well as recovering from it. Good fun but bloody hard work for your first flight in a Tiger.
With the upper airwork completed im straight into the cercuit next week.
Hope your getting some flying in with this lovely weather. What do you fly?

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:59 pm

Jonathan,

Nothing that exciting! Just Tomahawks (some say they can be exciting!), Cherokees & C152s. Nearest I've been to 'exotic' is the Stearman, Chipmunk & Citabria.

Good luck with your Tiger flying. Spinning is good for the soul, I never understood why they took it out of the syllabus. If it ever happens for real, you should be trained - for real - on how to recover.

Bob F