LAA Sywell Rally

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

John Brady

Post by John Brady » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:21 pm

I have been trying to find the Sywell arrival info for the Rally but I must be doing something wrong. The AIC refers me to the Sywell website for the important stuff about the holding area and routing to the runway. It says I should see Appendicies C,D,G,E,F,and H on the Sywell website but I can't find any of them.

Can anyone help please?

John

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:37 pm

John, is this what you are looking for:

http://www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/docume ... photos.pdf

Not shown as appendices but obviously what's being referred to in the AIC.
Roger Callow

John Brady

Post by John Brady » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:21 pm

Thanks Roger,

is that linked from the Sywell website in some way or is it secret?

John

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:58 pm

John,

If you go back to the slot booking page, there are a couple of links at the top which lead you to the information you were searching for. Only obvious when you know where to look, perhaps? :wink:

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:39 am

I tried to print a copy double sided to save paper - wrong!
The document is presented in landscape (not portrait) and my printer managed to turn the even numbered sides upside down. Ifyour printed is wiser than mine then fine, otherwise it might be better to print off single sided.
Richard

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:07 pm

22 pages altogether from Sywell and the AIC. I do love 'this page intentionally blank' too...

Mustn't let people think it's easy, now.
Nic Orchard

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:28 am

I just printed 3 or 4 relevant pages and read the rest online!

Bookings are up to over 900 now, 30 or so already arrived on Thursday, inc a Fred all the way from Fearn North of Inverness!

back again as soon as the fog lifts, looks great weather for the rest of the day

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:02 pm

I'm just about to set off on the 12 hour drive, so should make it first in the queue tomorrow morning !

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:36 pm

The blurb calls for slow traffic to use the grass with landing light off, faster stuff to use the hard with landing light on.
Don't they know not all aircraft HAVE landing lights?? especially permitA/C.

Why have such a stupid thing that could add to confusion on approach?
Where do I land? :roll:
John Cook

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:20 pm

JC, I see you managed to land today!! I managed it two days in a row on the hard without any landing light, just something to help ATC, I guess they could have said "if fitted", Im sure they werent too bothered.

Another great day at the Rally, everything seemed to work very well, the parking area was alomst full- well one row left, but then they were going to start tail to tail parking, so plent of space really. Havent seen any numbers, I guess 7 or 800 aircraft so far and mostly homebuilts or vintage. Looking forward to another great day Sunday.

Thanks to everyone involved, especially Jeff Bell and his team in Air Traffic who have done a great job. Their flexibility and common sense approach has really worked well when faced with CAA bureaucratic constraints.

Jonathan Holland

Post by Jonathan Holland » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:22 pm

I'm sure there will be lots of feedback from people about their opinion on the success of the rally. I will go first and say that I think it was excellent.

The organisation was top notch. The chaps on the radio were superb, the parking worked, the retail section was just the right size, the airfield was immaculate and there were lots of places to get away from the hubbub (if required).

If any non-flyers attended I feel sure it would have ensured that they had left with a positive and professional feeling about our fraternity.

Marks out of ten? Ten from me.

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:32 pm

Jolly excellent two days. Despite someone's comment on the other place, we didn't hear anything but 'proper' joins and departures.

The ATC light touch was perfect and despite this being my first P1 visit to a proper PFA :lol: Rally I was surprisingly unintimidated.

Lots of familiar faces (I don't do names very well) and a super atmosphere. I'd suggest that if there's a repeat, 'they' provide rubbish bins as people were working hard to avoid providing FOD.

Fun? You betcha... 8)
Nic Orchard

macconnacher

Post by macconnacher » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:34 pm

For those who need to know the awards went as follows:

winners list 2010 (edition 1)
NAME REG TYPE AWARD FOR
Alan Shipp G-CVST Jodel D140 E AIR SQUADRON TROPHY BEST PLANS BUILT AIRCRAFT
Mike Clark G-LOAD One Design COMMENDATION CERTIFICATE PLANS BUILT AIRCRAFT
Louis & John Rex G-JRME Jodel D140E COMMENDATION CERTIFICATE PLANS BUILT AIRCRAFT
Alister Sutherland G-ORAS FRED COMMENDATION CERTIFICATE PLANS BUILT AIRCRAFT
Dave Stephens G-MUZY Titan T51 Mustang RAA (CANADA) TROPHY BEST KIT BUILT AIRCRAFT
Farmarz Sayyah & Anthony Palmer G-WOOO CZAW Sport Cruiser COMMENDATION CERTIFICATE KIT BUILT AIRCRAFT
David Steade G-CDXY Denney Kitfox Mk7 COMMENDATION CERTIFICATE KIT BUILT AIRCRAFT
Roger Hopkinson G-RVIO Vans RV10 COMMENDATION CERTIFICATE KIT BUILT AIRCRAFT
Peter Holloway G-STCH Fieseler Storch JOHN RANDALL TROPHY BEST VINTAGE AIRCRAFT
Tom & Linda Carter G-AJKB Luscombe 8E ROY MILLS TROPHY BEST CLASSIC AIRCRAFT
Chris Edmondson G-AVZW EAA Biplane P SYWELL TROPHYd BEST CLASSIC HOMEBUILT AIRCRAFT
Marc Lhermette G-ONON RAF 2000 GTX-SE KEN WALLIS TROPHY BEST HOMEBUILT GYROPLANE
Paul & Sarah Ford G-FOKK Fokker Dr1 Triplane THE POOLEY SWORD BEST REPLICA AIRCRAFT
Alan Shipp G-CVST Jodel D140 E THE WILKINSON SWORD BEST JODEL
David & Mark Miller G-AGJG DH Dragon Rapide PERSONAL PLANE SERVICES BEST MOTH
Jackie Moorecraft G-BDEY Piper J3 Cub JIM EMPSON TROPHY BEST FABRIC PIPER
Roger Hopkinson G-RVIO Vans RV10 ANDY NOWICKI TROPHY BEST RV
Richard Teverson G-LUCL Colomban MC30 Luciole ALBERT CODLING TROPHY BEST PART BUILT
Steve Noujaim G-IIXF Vans RV-7 BILL WOODHAMS TROPHY FOR A FEAT OF NAVIGATION - taking the world record on the two way trip to Capetown South Africa from London.
Paul Robichaud G-IRAF RAF 2000 HUGH BANCROFT WILSON TROPHY MOST MERITORIOUS ARRIVAL BY GYROPLANE - from Henstridge.
Alister Sutherland G-ORAS FRED MALCOLM ALLAN TROPHY MOST MERITORIOUS ARRIVAL BY AIR - 8hrs from North of Inverness in a FRED.
Last edited by macconnacher on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart Macconnacher

bencmaster

Great Rally

Post by bencmaster » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:49 am

And that's a Yes from me

great rally

G-BZOB

Tony Harrison-Smith

Post by Tony Harrison-Smith » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm

Saturday was my first visit to an LAA Rally (by car not by air), I have to say I was VERY impressed with the whole setup.My wife and I really enjoyed the whole day. It will certainly be an annual event for us. I might even fly in next year :lol: