LAA Sywell Rally

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Jon

Post by Jon » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:28 pm

Thoroughly enjoyable!

Professional efficient radio. Spotless airfield. Great friends, too much beer.

Fantastic entertainment. And a good range of trade stands.

Well done to all those who made it happen, thank you!

Jon
Last edited by Jon on Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trevor Lyons

Post by Trevor Lyons » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:45 pm

Yes indeed! A most enjoyable rally. Thanks and congratulations to all involved!

It was good to see three ARV Super2s there; next year there should be at least one more!

The £5 entry fee for LAA members was very reasonable; but I thought prices were a bit steep for non members: £10 entry plus another £10 to go airside (with a special offer if you joined the LAA as well). It would be interesting to know how many non-members attended, and how many of them paid the full £20. If there were lots, I stand corrected; but if numbers of non-members were low, perhaps prices could be a bit cheaper next time? After all, we are trying to encourage more people to go flying!
formerly "arriviste" (ARV-ist!)

Jonathan Holland

Post by Jonathan Holland » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:02 pm

perhaps prices could be a bit cheaper next time?
I stand to be corrected but £20 for a day out is cheap compared to many other commercial weekend destinations. I would be very surprised if any non-flying non-members would have gone away feeling disgruntled after paying £20 for a day at Sywell with that sheer number of aircraft and activity.

Personally, I hope the LAA (and Sywell) made a big juicy profit this weekend. They both deserve to. 8)

merlin

Post by merlin » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:05 pm

Tremendous, absolutely nothing to fault.

The Sywell staff and all volunteers were magnificent and I must mention the barfolk and waiters who were cheerful and helpful from breakfast to v late.

The Oompah band was the best musical entertainment I've seen at such a do.

Thankyou everyone.
roger breckell

G.Dawes

Post by G.Dawes » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:45 pm

I went to the last PFA rally at Sywell and the airfield seems to have changed out of all recognition. Very nicely set out and a pleasant day out. It was about the same size event as then, and seemed very friendly in outlook.
I enjoyed it.
There again next year?
Graham

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:21 pm

Yes - I agree a fantastic 2 days - all perfectly pitched - good marshalling and excellent and proportionate airside control ( everyone must be in possession of a safety sheet every time going through the gate, so then your safety is up to you )
Sywell is a great airfield restored in a period style and deserve success
we'll be back to support you
Beautiful new runway
ATC & procedures excellent
Band on Sat night were friendly and good fun - food good too.
All you can eat breakfast for £6.00 - great value
Good friendly and wide ranging exhibitors inc LAA Engineering

Thanks to everyone involved in organising the Rally
Regards
Steve

James L

Post by James L » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:18 pm

I'm new to the LAA and don't have any real point of comparison against other events, but I had a very good time. I flew up from Hook on Saturday and stayed until Sunday afternoon.

The staff were friendly, I thought Sywell was really smart, and the whole thing seemed pretty slick, yet still nice and relaxed. I also met some great people.

A brilliant weekend.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:47 am

I think it was a thumbs up! the join at peak time Saturday was easier than rejoining my home base.
Hopefully I'll be able to stay next year and enjoy the evening as well!
John Cook

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:26 pm

I'm just back (do I qualify for the most meritous journey by road - 1400 miles) and thought the event was excellent. A very slick operation by joining pilots and ground teams. Yes, the "all you can eat" breakfast topped me up for the whole day !!

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:50 pm

I went on Friday, flying in alone, and had a thoroughly good time, met a few friends, and picked up a couple of bargains as well.

On the Friday a lot of people, myself included, missed our slots because of mist that took until around midday to clear. When we phoned to re-arrange for later we were told not to worry about the slot time and as long as we were booked in for some time on that day to just come along anyway. Arrived just after 13:00 local - probably one of the busiest times - and got in just fine.
The procedures worked just fine as far as I can see without any need for the slot times. Can't help thinking slot times do tend to keep people away.

Only other thing was the taxiways could have been a little better marked, and the ground procedures could be a bit clearer. It was quite a lot to take in for those of us flying solo. Then again I am a bear of very little brain, and it gets full quite quickly.
Maybe I should have taken a passenger to ease the workload!

Other than the couple of minor points mentioned above it was a dashed fine event. When shall we do it again?
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:06 pm

AIUI the slot times were needed to keep the CAA happy and avoid retraining all the ATC chaps. I was prepared to be much intimidated by the arrival procedure too, but I sifted out the bits I needed to remember, had the diagrams and charts at hand and the rest was eyeballed.

I thought the marshallers were excellent, so there was no problem with taxyways. I probably arrived soon after you, also delayed by fog, but having been in the fortunate position to have access to a 'puter at the airfield, I had seen the 'don't worry' message that appeared with the weather updates.

'Course, it helps to have a decent co-pilot.Image
Nic Orchard

leiafee

Post by leiafee » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:20 pm

Had a fantastic time!

A few people commented that they found the information hard to find which may account for what seemed like a high number of botched calls. Although, that said, the relevant AIC was referenced from the NOTAM so I'm not sure how hard the people who never did find it really looked...

Non-flying attendees... I met a few on the Youth and Eucation stand. One local dad in particular was very complimentary and had really had his eyes opened and been impressed by both the facilities at the field and the enthusiasm and variety of flying machines out there.

I do think that the foot-entry price is possibly a bit steep for casual local families like that -- you'd have to already have a fairly specific aviation interest to come to a specifically light aircraft fly-in. To a degree, the Rally is preaching to the converted of course. Was it marketed to the general public much locally?

At the same time -- you've got to have a genuine advantage for LAA members really, and the entry fee and airside access definitely represented that.

The spotters were out in force airside -- the price clearly hadn't deterred them! (Nothing quite like being woken up by someone yelling your aircraft reg out at the top of their voice to their mate on the next line...)

The only thing that disappointed me slightly was the behaviour of a small number of pilots towards the chaps providing airside access. Waving the safety leaflet in their general direction to show you've got it isn't much to ask. Some people need a reminder that they're just another GA pilot not a third-rate celeb and should drop the "don't you know who I am" indignation at being asked a civil question. You're no credit to the rest of us whoever you are.

The Sywell airport staff were utterly amazing, happy and friendly all weekend in spite of a fairly huge workload. I'll definitely be flying in there again. (And not just because I was flattered to have one of the refuellers ask to have his photo taken with my very ordinary aeroplane ;))

merlin

Post by merlin » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:31 pm

welshman wrote:Spoken to a few people who wanted to fly in but could not get a slot, just wondered how many slots were wasted, number of slots issued as to number of arrivals would be interesting.
Had a good day more so with the good weather, but was disappointed to here people arguing when going airside because they had got rid of their safety sheet, maybe an indelible stamp on the forehead would be a better option.
Would have liked to see more exhibitors but better what we had than nothing, roll on next year.
Slot issue was not an issue to anyone reading between the lines.
Was explained to everyone that they needed to keep their safety sheet - not sure why but no big issue and I have a pocket and don't like stamps but can see that some folk might have room between their ears for such a thing.
More exhibitors would be good and it was a shame that some of the microlight and/or GA companies weren't there but I still spent too much.
Hangar One entertainment and food both nights was a great move by Sywell.
roger breckell