LAA Sywell Rally

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:48 pm

merlin wrote:Was explained to everyone that they needed to keep their safety sheet - not sure why but no big issue and I have a pocket ll.
It was explained to me that it was in case you left the airside and wanted to return later. On your return you would just show you had the sheet and walk on through

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:15 am

Have to agree with Leia, it really was no hassle to read the airside sheet and keep it for future airside entry. The guys doing the job were good humoured and polite and certainly deserved to be treated with respect. Better surely to have a a few moments 'inconvenience' than not have airside access.
Don't agree that non member pricing was high. The rally is primarily for the members with a secondary aim to encourage non members with an aviation interest to join. The non member rates were set to make joining an option worth considering and I think we attracted between 80 and 90 new members as a result.
The business model works well for us and financial risk is practically nil. This year's additions of the fleamarket, campsite and fabric workshop were well received and viable, thanks to Keith Griffin and his team, Andover Strut and Aircraft Coverings respectively.
There are still some of the old attractions that could be considered, the Homebuilder's Tent, the Forums and some form of Strut promotion (maybe the old style Strut Boards) for example. Hopefully some or all of these could be considered for 2011. I hope too that next year's dates will be announced very soon so that people can plan in plenty of time.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:41 am

I think the airside sheets were a bit of an issue, not huge but easily delt with next year.
I am reluctant to criticise any one as all the volunteers did sterling work ( I got press ganged into martialling almost as soon as I arrived so didn't have as much time as I would have liked to chat to people) however many people raised the issue of the sheets so it undeniably WAS an issue.

Maybe the luggage tag approach would be better next year as used at many other fly ins.You just tie it on the zip of your jacket or belt loop of your jeans and it is there for all to see and it doesn't get thrown on the floor or crumpled up in your pocket.

I also admit that when I was handed mine I only read one side and thought it was just a " aint we great" advert for the marshalls and wondered how the hell that helped safety.It was only some time later that I turned it over and read the safety side. I could have binned it without reading that side!
To be fair my stint at marshalling was also tainted by the attitude of a couple of the more senior marshalls.Overall though a good job by most.
John Cook

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:48 am

The airside access checkpoint was not an issue to create a fuss about. When I went through for another look around I was asked to take a sheet. I replied that I had read the previous one, but THEY didn't know that I had been through before, so they were quite right in asking me to take another.
The rally was spot on for me - the aircraft I went to see were there, the people I went to see were there and my trip didn't cost the earth. I just wish I had the nerve to fly all the way down through Scotland and the busy airspace of England to get there !

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:10 am

Forgot to mention in my earlier post that if you do have any suggestions or moans you can PM me or email me and I'll make sure the Rally team consider them. I have already started a list of things I think we can improve on. Do bear in mind that added 'attractions' need extra volunteers, and for something major like the Homebuilders Tent or Forums, somebody or bodies to work with the Rally team to help organise them.
Sorry we never got to have a chat John, saw NADZ but not you. Unfortunately can't make St Omer but well done on arranging exemption. Hope you have a great weekend and say hi to aeroclub guys from me.

Simon Ring

Post by Simon Ring » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:45 am

Just like to add my appreciation for a fantastic three days. Well done to all concerned. It was great to see the rally back and good to see old faces that I haven't managed to see for many decades. For my young son who came with me, it was his first rally and it has instilled so much enthusiasm in him that he has not stopped telling everyone how great his experience was.

Thanks to all...Brilliant and no gripes whats so ever.

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:01 pm

In the context of last year when I understand airside access was much more restricted, I think the compulsory Safety leaflet concept was excellent.

In these days of H&S and risk adverse society, LAA & Sywell needed some protection in the event of an accident. Seems to me that the LAA & Sywell could say to a judge that every single person going airside, every single time was in physical possession of a safety leaflet. The safety of individuals was thus neatly passed to the individual with the provision of suitable information.

Isn't that the type of approach what we have been rooting for?

Seems to me that this was a proportionate and elegant solution that left everyone free to roam without exposing LAA & Sywell unnecessarily to risk or claims.

Yes, I had to receive a new safety sheet a couple of times because I had left mine in the tent - it really just wasn't a big deal to me. The marshalls were very friendly - if you let them do their job.

Steve

Ian L

Post by Ian L » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:59 pm

Well I came down to help out with the marshalling and must say I got a very enthusiastic welcome from the MKAS guys.

Andre the Airside Coordinator was getting up at four in the morning to do some running around before he even got to the airfield so I was a bit annoyed to hear the abuse he received from a couple of people who didn't want to take and read the airside leaflet. Of course most people understood why they were getting the leaflet and cooperated cheerfully.

John - not sure what the issue was with the senior marshallers but if you pm me I will pass your comments on, I have been asked by MKAS to give them feedback. We the marshallers threw our gloves in the air a couple of times (new marshalling signal!) when we were ignored but that was a minor issue.

I spoke to a couple of locals who didn,t know what was going on but came when they saw all the aeroplanes flying around and said they were pleasantly surprised.

A great weekend at a lovely airfield, I met up with some old friends and made some new ones and saw a lot of good aeroplanes in the process isn't that what the rally is about?

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:58 pm

Agree with everyone's positive comments, a really great 3 1/2 days for me.

minor points:
A lot of us stayed airside most of the time, after all that is where the event really was with the aircraft flying in. It was quite a long way to the toilets. How about taking the two that were right in the corner of the field near the crash gate and putting them at the corner of the exhibition area, but airside. If thats no good due to servicing issues, then perhaps backing on to the fence near where the Wilga and Brooklands flying school AT3s were parked. This would be a shorter walk than going into the buildings and also avoid having to go landside then airside again.

I appreciate the reasons for giving people the airside safety leaflet, but those volunteers handing it out could perhaps have been a bit more selective on their imposition. Those with an airside arrival wristband could just be given a copy to show, rather than made to read it, whereas those arriving by road be asked to read it. I felt it was a bit stupid that after I had been there Thursday afternoon and 5 hours on Friday, all airside, when I left to go round the exhibition site and came back, I had to read this bit of paper to make me safe. Had I been so unsafe the previous 9 hours airside??!!
I appreciate that they didnt know Id been there, but having an airside arrival wristband and telling them Id flown in should be enough for them just to give me the bit of paper and ask me to show it on subsequent passes. I thought they were a little over the top.

Standing on the flightline on Sunday morning, I saw a few people be told they had to move back behind the cone line, when their bags were 6 inches infront or feet just over the line when sitting in their chair behind the line. One person was getting quite pedantic over this. I know that there has to be a certain distance between the runway and the edge of the parking area, I think this might be 50 meters, can I suggest that next year the cones are placed 51 meter from the runway, so that if someone's toe is over the line it doesnt matter! (This is an even bigger problem at Oshkosh were some people are literally running up and down the line moving people's feet half an inch! Ive told them this solution but they dont seem to understand!)

Several people I spoke to complained that the entry gates werent open early enough and they were stuck I think in the area infront of the hotel. Im told there was a queue of people all the way to the road on Saturday morning by the time the gate opened just before 9. As the slots started at 0830, people wanted to be airside earlier. Perhaps it can be ensured that the gates are open by 0800 at the latest next year- even if only for people who already have passes.

There was confusion with the joining instructions and where to find them, I heard this from several sources. The AIC didnt include the diagrams and photos which were the most useful part, these were only available for download from the Sywell website. Next year it needs to be more obvious where everything is and what you need. I would think that some can be simplified too, but having been involed with Rally AICs before , I know how difficult it is with everyone's conflicting requirements. The LAA website should have a link to download the procedures ( I think it might have by Saturday!)

Sywell ATC, Jeff Bell and his team did a great job. Hopefully next year they might be able to persuade the CAA to allow them to have multiple runway occupancy, so one aircrarft can safely land behind another still on the runway. We used to have this at all Rallys before, but the CAA have denied it to Sywell.
Having been on the flightline during much of the arrivals periods, I saw quite a number of aircraft doing go arounds that were only necessary becuase of the enforced rules, but could have landed safely behind aircraft well down the runway, these aircraft then had to join the pattern again fitting in with other traffic, making the approach busier, certainly not an increase in safety compared to if they had just landed. I saw a few aircraft that clearly got too close to the one infront on final and went around, probably told to do so by Air traffic, funnily these werent hot ships following Cubs, but usually 4 seater club aircraft following similar!

I dont see any problem with the entry prices, heard the odd compalint from some who want everything for free, but very little. There were a lot of good views from non airside for those that didnt want to pay the price and £10 for general admission was a real bargain.

Air Traffic was great, Marshalling was great, aircraft attendance was great, seeing friends was great, good selection in the exhibition and I spent too much money. Even the catering looked great. Well done to all involved (even the MKAS guys on the airside gate!!)
Last edited by Nigel Hitchman on Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:36 pm

Cracking weekend. Thanks to all those involved.

There have been a few comments about the joining procedure being a little wayward by some, I wonder if the FISO's might make some sort of comment?
Although a I did hear some strange use of the radio and there were certainly some who made it up as they went along, I think the vast majority got it right.

If next year is as good...........brilliant

leiafee

Post by leiafee » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:37 pm

Brian Hope wrote:it really was no hassle to read the airside sheet and keep it for future airside entry. The guys doing the job were good humoured and polite and certainly deserved to be treated with respect. Better surely to have a a few moments 'inconvenience' than not have airside access.
Or have someone who genuinely DIDN'T know better give your pride and joy a swift poke! It's our aeroplanes out there -- the safety sheets are for our benefit as well as to make sure that no non-flyers get their heads lopped off by a prop...
Nigel Hitchman wrote:I appreciate the reasons for giving people the airside safety leaflet, but those volunteers handing it out could perhaps have been a bit more selective on their imposition. Those with an airside arrival wristband could just be given a copy to show, rather than made to read it, whereas those arriving by road be asked to read it.
I have a feeling the "all weekend, all areas" passes were the same colour regardless of whether you'd arrived by air or not. They weren't specifically aircrew ones. Otherwise, yes that could perhaps work.

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:36 pm

There were spotters legging it round the airside long before the gates were manned - because there were walk through paths open before "security" manned their positions.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:16 pm

We'll take on board the matter of aircrew/safety brief and if there's an easy solution and it doesn't cause a liability conflict then we'll see if MKAS can do something different next year.
Yes there always will be those who will do anything to cheat us out of a few quid, like getting on site at some ridiculous hour. Many years ago when I was PFA Treasurer I walked around the Rally site at 0600 and collared anybody without a wristband and made them pay of get out, not so sure I want to do that now though.

Paul Gibbs

Post by Paul Gibbs » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:36 pm

I concur with those that are praising the association for a great weekend. Travelling 400 miles each way in a Nipper was never going to be easy, and I hoped it would be as enjoyable as I needed it to be, and it was.
The entertainment was good, stalls and stands interesting and refreshments plentiful and reasonable value.
A friendly vibe helped to add to the enjoyment too, with lots of wide-eyed people of the same ilk wandering around.

A minor note to add ,which is a shame, is the half a dozen or so people that nipped in to the breakfast room when the girl had left the till for a moment, and got out of paying their six quid. Not really in the spirit is it? Of course they could have all been hotel residents, but from the looks on their faces probably not.

Thanks all who organised it and roll on next year.

Paul.

Dave Stephens

Post by Dave Stephens » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:06 pm

I only went Saturday, But everything went well, Although the pattern was not followed perfectly, everyone was sensible and no one was cut up (whilst I was approaching anyway) and calls were short and sharp and ATC was perfect

Superb day!

Thanks to all those involved

Dave