Lightweight aircraft.

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

G.Dawes

Lightweight aircraft.

Post by G.Dawes » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:58 pm

We have now all heard about the sub 115 kg derestiction but how will it be authorised and who will Control the actual construction. If it is derestricted who will check the design is complying to the non regs. Does one build it weigh it and go or will there hoops with CAA to go through that actually cost a fortune. If it goes alright and flies well but not if it falls apart.OK. but it will weed out the unsuccessful builders.
Anyone can make a safe heavy structure but the real skill is making a light one that's also safe, exotic materials are often used to save weight but they need special consideration. Remember the Reliant Robin, that was built down to a weight limit, and was probably the most dangerous thing on the road. Have they just reinvented our early microlights, if so I might have found a use for my Moni engine.:?

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:55 am

As I understand, and I'm sure Jeremy H, can clarify, you have to have the noise tested according to a standard schedule. Weight? Well, any aircraft should have a W&B shouldn't it? And wing area, as Welshman said, is pretty straightforward. It would be nice to think you could just submit this to the CAA when you apply for the ticket. After all, I presume the CAA have the right to spot check plane vs. description; and doubtless there's the issue of having to stay within the regs to keep your insurance valid.

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:51 pm

Jeremy may have just identified the reason that there will be very few home built sub 115s flying.

Insurance:-

Me: "hello Mr Trafford, will you please quote to insure my bundle of balsa, and ceconite"

Mr Trafford "What exactly is the aircraft? are there many flying? who inspected it?"

Me: "well I built it from fag packet plans on the kitchen table, it's one of a kind"

Mr Trafford "well third party only, does £2k sound reasonable"

I hope I am wrong!!
Peter Diffey

Geraint Jones

Post by Geraint Jones » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:39 am

Hi,

Anyone know if there are any - preferably plans built - aeroplanes which conform to the sub 115kg rules?

Cheers,

BW.

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:42 am

This one may do: www.affordaplane.com (I think I metricised the spec a while back and it seemed to fit the regs, though the weight is right on the limit so you'd have to build carefully.)

Trevor Lyons

Post by Trevor Lyons » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:10 pm

There are at least three pages on Wikipedia that cover this topic: "Light Aircraft" "Nanolight" and "Ultralight Aviation". Some of these pages are a bit short of up to date information; no doubt well-informed LAA members would do well to edit the Wikipedia pages and add further data.

Geraint Jones

Post by Geraint Jones » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:30 pm

Thanks everyone. Plenty of food for thought there. The research will keep me going for quite I while I should think.

Thanks again,

BW