VHF Radio

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

John Price

VHF Radio

Post by John Price » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:46 am

Whilst flying our Europa yesterday I had trouble Picking up Gatwick Approach/Dir on 126.825, no problem with the comms from other aircraft just ATC, no problems with any other ATC unit either. My VHF is a panel mounted Narco Com810+ TSO, any thoughts anyone ? :?

John.

JohnMead

VHF problem

Post by JohnMead » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:27 pm

Have a good look at the connections at the base of the aerial, particularly the groundplane.

John Mead

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:52 pm

FWIW copied from April 'RansNews'

"Radio & 1560 Channels ! (from Sportcruiser forum)
ICOM UK confirm that their IC A200 appears NOT to be compatible with offset carrier ground stations after recent tests conducted by the CAA.
This would explain why an increasing number of LARS/commercial airport ground stations incoming transmissions are being missed even though they receive. As confirmed by an
aircraft relaying messages. [I too found exactly this phenomenon with a humble Rans S4 mounted Icom A20 series transceiver both with Gatwick and Thames radar. Mike]
However it's going to be a long time before 8.33kHz channel spacing is used, let alone mandated in the sort of airspace that anyone will fly a Sportcruiser through. Certainly in the UK. Anyway, for most modern radios it's just a configuration change or a replacement IF filter. Going for 8.33kHz will also give problems with reception of area stations such as London and Scottish Information. I'd ignore the 8.33kHz issue for now and go with a decent 25kHz 760 channel radio. John (Radio geek!)."

John Price

Post by John Price » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:47 pm

John,
Connections are fine, Antenna is standard Europa fit in the tail.

Mike,
I can recieve Thames Radar no problem. Just not Gatwick APP. Transceiver is a good panel fit piece of kit.

Completely puzzled. :?

John.