CFM Shadow question

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Charles Scott

CFM Shadow question

Post by Charles Scott » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:28 pm

Apologies if this is a really dumb question, I'm new to the whole area of being able to change anything to do with aircraft :D

I'm trying to find out what the difference between Microlight and Group A Shadows is. I know that the Streak Shadow seems to exist in both incarnations and I was wondering if I bought a Microlight Streak can I just fill out the form, pay the money and have it changed to a Group A? The reason I'm asking is that the cheap flying of the Shadow appeals, but I need to build hours.

Similarly, I take it that the non-Streak variants (B, C, D, E) cannot be readily converted to Group A can they? it's not just a question of changing the stated weight limits is it?

See - there is such a thing as a stupid question!

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:53 pm

Sounds like a question for the Engineering department -- I'm sure they can give you the low-down!

rogerburge

Post by rogerburge » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:28 pm

Charles Scott

Post by Charles Scott » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:38 pm

Thanks for the pointers, the TAD is useful (I'm getting an 403 Forbidden message when I try and see the Star Streak TAD though).

I think I'm missing something fundamental though. The TAD shows the conditions for a shadow to be classed as a Microlight, however what I don't understand is if Streak Shadow is currently classed as a Microlight does it need to have the elevator gap seal removed and the Flap Travel limited to 30 degrees before it can be classed as a SEP?

Sorry for being such a newbie here..

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:06 pm

Charles, it's been a few years since I was (heavily) involved with Shadows, I owned two microlight versions and built the second Streak (still flying). The first microlight Streaks were required to have the rear seat permanently disabled (by bonding in a bar). The Streak wings were shorter than the Shadow and thus wing-loading was too high with 2 seater MAUW (if memory serves me). Things may have changed of course, but I suggest you speak to Fiona Luckhurst at The Shadow Flight Centre, Old Sarum, she or Raymond Proost will have all the information you require.

The Star Streak is a very different animal to the Streak by the way!

Charles Scott

Post by Charles Scott » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Thanks Nigel, I'll contact the Shadow Centre. There is a Star Streak for sale on AFORS at the moment with a Jabiru 2200 in it! Impressive machine, but £14,995 is over my budget alas.

turner7171

CFM shadow question.

Post by turner7171 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:17 am

Charles I would be very interested to find out if a Microlight shadow could be Re-registered as a Group A aircraft. I presently fly a Star Streak which I know cannot be registered as a Microlight , because of stall speed. However I would like to know what stops a B, C , D Shadow being registered as a Group A.
Best regards, Lawrence.

Charles Scott

Post by Charles Scott » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:41 pm

Lawrence - I'm afraid I really don't know. I've been informed that aircraft that started on BMAA permits can't be converted at all so I think it might be something to do with that. However, I'm hoping that someone more knowledgeable than I can give you a definitive answer.

Charles