JOINT PRESS RELEASE

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Graham Newby

JOINT PRESS RELEASE

Post by Graham Newby » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:26 pm

The following joint press release has been issued this afternoon and has been posted on the LAA and BMAA websites. Further information will be published in the next edition of both Associations magazines.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BRITISH MICROLIGHT AIRCRAFT ASSOCIATION AND LIGHT AIRCRAFT ASSOCIATION BEGIN WORK TO RECOMMEND AMALGAMATION

The Councils of the British Microlight Aircraft Association ( BMAA ) and the Light Aircraft Association ( LAA ) have agreed to initiate joint discussions leading to amalgamation.

Keith Negal, BMAA Chairman and Roger Hopkinson, LAA Chairman said “ During mid-April our respective Councils voted unanimously to work towards the amalgamation of our two successful associations. Our aim is to put this proposal to our members later this year and, with their support, enter 2009 as a single association of nearly 12,000 members. There is much work to be done but, particularly at this time of great change in the regulation and structure of European light aviation, the advantages of pooling our strength, experience and resources for the benefit of all our members can no longer be ignored ”.

Regards

Graham Newby

Simon Clifton

Post by Simon Clifton » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:12 pm

Well done all LAA and BMAA executives, I can't quite believe it!

With a bit of strong leadership, even the majority of members might follow and I can save on one of my membership fees!

Simon C
BMAA and LAA member

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:18 pm

All we'll have to do now is think of a name... :)

Simon Clifton

Post by Simon Clifton » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:10 pm

It's obvious : British Light Aircraft Association, or BLAA for short

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:58 pm

Great news. Maybe we should call ourselves the Light Aviation Association - might save a fortune on getting a new logo designed!

Bob F

mike walling

LAA/BMAA

Post by mike walling » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:06 pm

I've been waiting for this news for many years ~ excellent that both organisations have now made this great step forward ~ lets get it done ASAP
Mike Walling No. 2450 :D

cirrusvfr

Post by cirrusvfr » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:21 pm

Very good News !

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:36 pm

Great news, interestingly attracting more responses on the Other Forums - although they are more populated.

Onwards and upwards.

:D
Nic Orchard

G.Dawes

Post by G.Dawes » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:48 pm

About time too.

Trevor Lyons

Post by Trevor Lyons » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:35 pm

Great news! Fingers crossed!

merlin

Post by merlin » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:20 am

Why stop at two when to merge with AOPA and BGA as well should really be a positive move.

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:34 pm

Astonishing, considering the long history of distrust between the two associations. I was at the BMAA AGM in, I think 1993, when a proposed merger was turned down with a unanimous vote. Very recently there has been a fair bit of 'tit for tat' association bashing on here and a bit of flack flying around at the last AGM.

This is a total but very nice surprise, well done whoever broke the log jam! Perhaps we really can move forward now!

Alan Cooper

Post by Alan Cooper » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:59 pm

Excellent news after all members of both associations share EXACTLY the same hobby . I ,ve always found the the microlight fraternity great people and in some areas they are light years ahead of us.

Gary M

Post by Gary M » Mon May 12, 2008 12:04 am

Yes it is very good news and I hope it goes through OK.

I heard that the merger talks do not plan to include the British Gliding Association. Depending on the main reasons for the merger - (financial, one voice etc.) would it not be a good thing to try to unite as many flyers as possible while we are at it? Have the BMAA and LAA approached the BGA and been rebuffed or ... ? I think the CAA were urging that UK flyers of all types get themselves together under one organisation so that consultations are more efficient and our views carry more weight.

Anyway what I heard was that the merger is to form a "powered flight" Association. Why?

With the price of oil touching $126 now the gliders are looking like a pretty good deal. There are 10,000 active glider pilots and 90 clubs in the UK

I hope we have our best PR guys on the case because :

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/microlights/message/90765

which refers to "initial proposed constitution" from the LAA and asks why it is not in circulation. I guess that is because drafts are drafts and final docs get circulated - but the damage can be done in drafts as well as final docs!
I recall seeing some pretty poor reasons for blackballing Keith Negal's failed attempt to join the PFA EC being circulated a couple years back. If that is the sort of attitude we are perpetuating now I'd give pretty low odds on a successful merger happening. 2 years wasted in my view.

For Pete’s sake lets discuss a name and an association that actively reaches out to and involves all flyers not just light, microlight, glider, powered etc. – just flyers!

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Mon May 12, 2008 5:59 pm

BTW.

On the BMAA forum under 'Council Matters' today there's a 'voting' thread to poll those for/against & sitting on the fence for BMAA/LAA merging.
Any forum member can enter as they don't stop non BMAA members contributing.

Worth keeping an eye on whatever your current opinion. I think the merger is long overdue so am all for it.

Our prospective partner members too, must be satisfied with the combination. In particular we shouldn't be seen to be reducing the BMAA's proudly independent flex wing contingent to a minority.