Llanbedr

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

leiafee

Llanbedr

Post by leiafee » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:35 pm

(apologies for the cross-post if people ahve already seen my rant on this elswhere)

I was all excited about the possibility of a 'new' GA airfield, but it seems the local whingers and whiners and spoilers of other people's fun are aready having a moan.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/7346179.stm

I intend to write to my own AM, pointing out all the upsides.

(I can't personally think of a *better* way to appreciate the wonderful National Park scenery from a light aircraft for a start!)

I suspect whingers are quicker to write in than supporters so if anyone else feels so moved it might be worth doing.

Probably better still if locals do so. I know there's some more Welsh flyers here!

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:12 pm

I notice that this Mr Pugh is using the term "commercial airport", which is perhaps being economical with the truth.
You really can't win, can you? Put an airfield near habitation and people complain; put it in the middle of nowhere...and they still complain!

Geoff. Collins

llanbedr

Post by Geoff. Collins » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:45 pm

There is not a lot of attractions along that coast. I can only see this being an asset to the area. The wise Mr Pugh,would probably have a different attitude if a local group, rather than "B****y foreigners" isn't it? were behind the venture. You only have to visit the Caernarfon area by car, to see how a local airfield fits in, and has a positive effect on tourism in Wales.

leiafee

Post by leiafee » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:36 pm

Well my AM was astonishingly quick off the mark in responding to my email, and assures me she agrees that Llanbedr will be an asset to the local tourism and economy. Nice to hear!

MikeGodsell

Post by MikeGodsell » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:21 pm

"People are most frightened by the things they least know about"
I sent a nice (for me!) letter to the Snowdon Society, pointing out that Llanbedr will be a private airfield not a commercial airport. Invited them to come to the open day and pehaps go flying, so as to experience the awe inspiring view of Snowdonia from the air. If anyone is planning to go to the open day, look out for Alun Pugh & his friends and make them welcome. Might need to learn a few Welsh words though.. dai pint cwrw os gwelwchyn dda? Diolch yn fawr. :D

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:52 pm

Mike,

I give up, what is the translation of that last line?

Bob F

MikeGodsell

Post by MikeGodsell » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:58 pm

Two pints of beer if you please? Thanks very much. :D

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:15 pm

Mike,

Thanks for that, I'll remember it next time I cross the border. Good luck with Llanbedr, hope everything goes OK & I know that the area is well worth a visit.

Bob F

leiafee

Post by leiafee » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:07 pm

Bob F wrote:Mike,
Thanks for that, I'll remember it next time I cross the border. Good luck with Llanbedr, hope everything goes OK & I know that the area is well worth a visit.
You might upset Dai if you ask for his pint even if you DO say please...

"Dau pint..." methinks :wink:

Peter Anthony

Post by Peter Anthony » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:04 pm

You might get some odd looks as you actually asked for two pounds of beer. :wink:
Punt = £ (U is pronounced as I in Welsh)
Peint = Pint (Pronounced like paint, use a knightsbridge sloanie intonation and you'll be spot on)

I don't know what the local brew is round thereabouts but Lager is Cwrw Melyn (Yellow Beer) and Bitter is Cwrw Chwerw.

Felinfoel I fy os ty'n prynu. :wink: :wink:

MikeGodsell

Post by MikeGodsell » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:43 am

Duw Duw! Saesneg am byth. Should have checked the spelling with my 10 year old, he is fluent in Cymraeg.
Felinfoel = "Feeling foul" after a heavy night at the local tafarn!

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:12 pm

Mike,

Looks to me like it might be a bit risky asking for a pint in Welsh! I had a look at some of the things on the web about the Llanbedr aquisition, what is the latest situation? Seems like a really positive move for the area. I bet the same people complaining now were probably complaining about the RAF shutting it down. At least the "elected" powers that be seem to be onboard. Hawddamor - I hope that's correct.

Bob F

MikeGodsell

Post by MikeGodsell » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:16 am

Alun Pugh the director of the Snowdonia Society has Emailed me in reply to my message. He and the society have genuine concerns which need to be addressed. It's a heartening experience when good people can debate without throwing insults at each other.

"Many thanks for your email"

"As a Society we support the statutory purposes for which National Parks were set up by Parliament."

"We are not sure that starting up a commercial aviation facility in a National Park is compatible with the provisions of the legislation - specifically section 62 of the Environment Act. I am sure you will understand that we have reservations about more pleasure flights around the Snowdon massif."

"We understand that tourism is vital in the National Park and we want visitors to feel welcomed. We are encouraging public transport operators to extend their services by rail and bus."

"I accept that there is no current intention to attract commercial jets at Llanbedr - even though the runway can handle a 747 let alone an airbus - but there are no constraints on this in the contract as far as we are aware. It's a 125 year lease and a lot has happened in the business of commercial aviation in the last 125 years."

"Congratulations on your green power plant. We would like to see more of this in Wales." [He is refering to my waterpowered generating system MG]

"Cofion Gorau" [Best regards]

leiafee

Post by leiafee » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:22 pm

Section 62 of the Eenvironment Act
Duty of certain bodies and persons to have regard to the purposes for which National Parks are designated (1) A National Park authority, in pursuing in relation to the National Park the purposes specified in subsection (1) of section five of this Act, shall seek to foster the economic and social well-being of local communities within the National Park, but without incurring significant expenditure in doing so, and shall for that purpose co-operate with local authorities and public bodies whose functions include the promotion of economic or social development within the area of the National Park.
(2) In exercising or performing any functions in relation to, or so as to affect, land in a National Park, any relevant authority shall have regard to the purposes specified in subsection (1) of section five of this Act and, if it appears that there is a conflict between those purposes, shall attach greater weight to the purpose of conserving and enhancing the natural beauty, wildlife and cultural heritage of the area comprised in the National Park.
(My emphasis) So the issue is, if we want to argue on the same gounds is that there is NOT a conflict between the development of Llanbedr and conserving the natural yada yada of the Park.

Isn't the plain fact that the RAF being there for however long has NOT harmed the park some justification? Last time I looked Snowdonia was still pretty gorgeous, even with the fastjet hammering about.

Surely a GA airfield is going to have even less impact than the purpose Llanbedr was set up for in the first place?

Are you going to reply, Mike?

I think if we all blitz them with letters, we might lose some of the positive attitude you've got from them there.

leiafee

Post by leiafee » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:25 pm

Perhaps also offer some reassurance on the "flights around the massiv" bit too. Point out it's going to be flyable a LOT fewer days than it's going to be walkable of train-able or bus-able...

And that pleasure flight are going to be at healthy distance by any pilot that doesn't want to find themselves splattered over the rock... mountain flying precautions are probably not well understood by the general public.