Don't know
No votes
Never fly to France
8%

Total votes: 24

gbolger

Flying to France

Post by gbolger » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:11 am

In August 2010 DGAC France advised us that UK permit ex-factory aircraft may not fly to France without specific permission. The previous assumption that this was approved was incorrect and until the position could be progressed, which was their intention, it was necessary to obtain individual permission for these aircraft. This would also mean a fee would be charged (50€). Note that this restriction this does not apply to EASA permits issued by CAA which applies to some LAA aircraft which are free to fly to EU states or, of course Amateur Build aircraft, which have a general derogation for flights in France.

LAA has continued to have discussions with DGAC France and recently a joint meeting with CAA in Paris. The legal position to relieve this situation is complex however a way forward has, in principle, been agreed. We hope to have this in place for the 2011 flying season – though implementation by end of May could be challenging. This is based on reciprocity of arrangements between France and UK and we can expect an associated time limitation: probably individual visits of no greater that 28 days (without specific permission) though multiple visits of that period allowed and a charge only being made outside the agreed standard arrangements.

Until this is resolved the standard application to DGAC is required.

Now without sounding stupid, is this stating that all non-factory LAA (non EASA must file a request and pay €50 to go to France? If so, with added fuel costs and the increasing landing fees in France (LFAT was €20 last time I was there) means they're clearly not wanting UK LAA aircraft.

How does one make the application, as some one in France who had intended to bring my LAA aircraft over, but keeping it on UK register I cannot see where or how I am meant to apply - could someone advise?

johnmichie

Post by johnmichie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:18 am

amateur built aircraft can go
aircraft with an EASA permit issued by the CAA can go
factory built aircraft now on a permit must apply and pay

John

gbolger

Post by gbolger » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:27 am

Thanks, seems odd that a factory build must have clearance and a home build doesn't (but I'm not complaining)

has anyone found the procedure yet on the French site?

Gerry

johnmichie

Post by johnmichie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:30 am

if you think you have to apply, see TL2.08 for the DGAC address. The flying abroad leaflet is hidden in "engineering-technical leaflets".
John

gbolger

Post by gbolger » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:33 am

John
Thanks, ah so french, everything is hidden or assumed here, and I know that from personal experience!

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:48 am

It's more than the USA want now.

I suppose I would do so, reluctantly, if nothing better can be sorted out, but it's a very strange state of affairs.
Nic Orchard

NickChittenden

Post by NickChittenden » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:01 pm

http://www.avweb.com/podcast/podcast/Au ... AVwebAudio

Whilst on the subject of flying over water on one engine has anyone listened to this? My aeroplane has already been in the Channel, I think once is quite enough!

Mike Lodge

Flying to France

Post by Mike Lodge » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:39 pm

I wonder where I would stand under the new proposals-my 1939 Stinson was Free French Airforce and then French civilian registered for many years before being brought over to the UK I think in 1970s for restoration. Was obviously deemed ok way back then! Probably make no difference anyway and there's a lot of water between us...

macconnacher

Post by macconnacher » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:42 pm

It will not help since I think your aircraft was on a French CoA and they would expect it to be on a UK CoA. The fact that we took aircraft from France and managed to get them on a Permit to Fly here in the UK was not known to the French Authorities which is why we are trying to sort it out now. There seems to be a sense of good will between LAA and the French authorities which with a little patience will bear fruit.
Stuart Macconnacher

Dave Evans

Post by Dave Evans » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:34 pm

No I wouldn't. I'd rather spend €50 on fuel and go to a UK airstrip rather than pay the DGAC to take my French factory built aircraft kept on a UK Permit back there.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:41 am

Its a bit of a no brainer really. France is like marmite you love it or hate it.
If you are one of the unlucky ones that have to pay you just use your fuel drawback to do so. In other words let the govmint pay for you !
John Cook